223 subsonic loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

William F

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
98   1
Reaction score
I've been searching the internet for load info on subsonic 223 for my Rem 700. Very little info out there. Most comments are " why bother " and I'm inclined to agree. I love shooting my supressed 22s, and just looking to try somthing a little different. If anyone has some first hand knowledge on loads, with or without fillers, I would love to hear about them...

At about 30% of normal velocity, would the bullet spin fast enough to stabilize? You might be slinging the bullets sideways through the target.

What's the twist rate in your 700?

there could be two issues with .223 sub sonic.

1. bullet weights- you probably can't get heavy enough bullets to bring velocity down enough.
2. powders- you probably can't get a powder so terrible that it could fill the case at all and keep velocity down.

A slow moving, light weight bullet with the surface of the area of a .223 sounds like a good candidate for a squib load??? Think .45 acp, heavy and slow is good. Light and slow is not.

Thanks Coyotehunter for the input. The only other load I've been able to find is 55g over 5.5 of RedDot. I'm going to be trying some Trailboss, starting a little high then backing off. Stuck bullets are a drag...

With the slow twist, I think it might be a challenge to stabilize a 223 bullet at subsonic speeds. Maybe it can be done; I'm sure it's been tried. Does anyone make a 22LR adapter that fits a 700 223 chamber? That's where I would focus my attention.

Yes it is sloooow. Most of my subsonic is done in an AR with a 1:8 twist. I will always fire new rounds out of the 700 first without the can and make sure there is no keyholing. It's better than replacing baffles. I do have a 223 cartridge that can have a 22lr inserted in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom