• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 vs 357/44mag for kids 1st deer rifle

huntin42

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Chris, GREAT DAY!
73   0
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on a kids first deer rifle? He's 6, but he's solid - not a toothpick type boy.
I'd considered a single shot 223 but I'm wondering if there arnt better options...

For instance - pistol calibers. I know ruger made some semi auto 44mags. Thats what got me thinking. Open to 357/44 in levers or single shots also.

I feel like recoil would be similar, without giving up bullet diameter. Not worried ab distance as we'll be woods hunting with shots around 50 yards.

Being that i have very little experience with pistol calibers in rifles, id love to hear any ideas/advice yall care to share.

FYI....Just me 2¢ worth.
I have a .357 Henry lever rifle, and it has almost no recoil when shooting. Rifle is a little heavy to carry around, but they make a single shot .357 that should work great. Also on a .223 round at 62 gr would have to be a good shot to drop a deer. On a .357 round at 140~150 gr would have more "hitting" energy, and the shot doesn't have to be as accurate to drop a deer.
You know how it is on a first deer, he's not going to be very steady with his aim......

My youngest daughter with her first deer.
Single shot .223 using Federal Fusion 62gr.

2011-10-15_19-21-36_28.jpg

Either will work just fine within that range with good shot placement and the right bullet. Likely get a better blood trail from the bigger bullets, but I've seen some decent bucks dropped in their tracks with a 223....again shot placement, bullet selection, and range are critical, but that's with any caliber.

Back
Top Bottom