• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.223 Wylde

Not sure if this is a troll post, or.........

.223 Wylde is a chamber spec, in between .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm.

The idea is that it’s more accurate with .223 Rem ammo than when that same ammo is shot in a 5.56 chamber, and safer than firing 5.56 ammo in a .223 Rem chamber.

223 Wylde is the chamber. Uses either 223 or 5.56.
This I know. Just looking for ammo since upper is chambered for it.
20190813_013720.jpg

One one right is .223 Wylde.

Not sure if this is a troll post, or.........

.223 Wylde is a chamber spec, in between .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm.

The idea is that it’s more accurate with .223 Rem ammo than when that same ammo is shot in a 5.56 chamber, and safer than firing 5.56 ammo in a .223 Rem chamber.
You think I would troll? lol

because there is not such thing as Wylde ammunition. It's not a SAAMI specification (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute- the group that certifies standards for new calibers/chambers). It's a "made up" chamber that is somewhere between .223 and 5.56 (as shown in the Wiki link). That's why you won't ever find any Wylde ammunition. It's either 5.56 (higher pressure load for the mil spec chamber) or .223 (civilian loading/chamber).

As stated earlier and typically common knowledge for folks with AR15 rifles (hopefully) that you can shoot 223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber but you shouldn't shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber. The dimension of the ammo is the same but the pressures are different. The Wylde chamber was created to be a bit more accurate than a 5.56 chamber but still allow you to shoot both cartridges/ammunition. Supposedly the best of both worlds.

terminology in case you are needing a refresher:

Caliber- usually the bore diameter using the lands of the rifling. can be inch designation or metric. not always the exact measurement of the actual diameter (i.e. 357 and 38 special are both the same diameter/caliber but the names are different to differentiate between the two cartridges).

Chamber- the area inside the barrel where you insert your ammunition. Typically it is reamed out to SAAMI specifications, but sometimes the manufacturers use their own version (Wylde, 300 Whisper, 6.8SPC II, 22 Khornet, most of the Ackley versions (except 280 AI is SAAMI)).

Cartridge/ammunition- this is the piece that you insert into the chamber to shoot (case, bullet, powder, primer). It should be sized to fit in SAAMI specified chamber dimensions, or you may find some wildcat calibers as well. A cartridge is typically a singe round of ammunition.

As an example of some differences- 300 Whisper is a classic example of a chamber that was never submitted to SAAMI for "certification". It was a proprietary cartridge that was developed by JD Jones. A few years ago, AAC/Remington decided to make their own version of it, so they took the 300 Whisper and changed a few dimensions/specifications and submitted it to SAAMI as the 300AAC/Blackout. Poof, new caliber/chamber/ammunition.

Typically when you submit drawings to SAAMI you have max/min tolerances for both the chamber and the ammunition. So companies may decide to have a "tight" chamber for accuracy, or a "loose" chamber for running even after the gun has gotten dirty or out of spec ammunition. So when someone refers to a "match" chamber it's probably on the minimum dimensions of the SAAMI spec or maybe even slightly smaller. It's not (in most cases that I am aware of except 22 long rifle has a "match" specification) an actual SAAMI spec that is listed at "match". BUT "Match" ammunition is built to very close tolerances and little variation between cartridges. There are a few cartridges where they have been submitted to SAAMI for a "+P" version- 9mm, 38 special, 38 Super, 45 Automatic and oddly enough 257 Roberts rifle. Other than these cartridges, +P is just marketing (and may have higher velocity/pressures, but it's not a SAAMI specified cartridge).

you can learn a lot by reading...

https://saami.org

can you tell I was bored and had a few extra minutes this morning?

Where have you seen .223 Wylde ammo for sale at a decent price? Seems to be hard to find. Thanks.

This I know. Just looking for ammo since upper is chambered for it. View attachment 2247893
One one right is .223 Wylde.

You think I would troll? lol

Why would I be a troll for asking about this ammo?

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom