• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.224 Valkyrie

So it's a necked-down case from a 6.8 SPC, fitted with a .224 bullet of up to 90 grains (which gives it a great ballistic coefficient of over .5).
Yeah, I can see that being useful, if 77-grain bullets in a regular .223 rifle aren't staying supersonic far enough out to suit you.
They certainly suit ME. I have no need or want for a rare and expensive cartridge for an AR, just so that I can reach out to 1300 yards instead of 1000 or 900 or whatever.
So, maybe this .224 Valkryie has a place in somebody's collection, but not mine.
Give me a .223 Remington and a 1:8 twist barrel and I'll be happy at any distance I want to pop targets.

So it's a necked-down case from a 6.8 SPC, fitted with a .224 bullet of up to 90 grains (which gives it a great ballistic coefficient of over .5).
Yeah, I can see that being useful, if 77-grain bullets in a regular .223 rifle aren't staying supersonic far enough out to suit you.
They certainly suit ME. I have no need or want for a rare and expensive cartridge for an AR, just so that I can reach out to 1300 yards instead of 1000 or 900 or whatever.
So, maybe this .224 Valkryie has a place in somebody's collection, but not mine.
Give me a .223 Remington and a 1:8 twist barrel and I'll be happy at any distance I want to pop targets.
1) I have no interest in ARs. Bolt (which it is offered in) for me. But if the reported accuracy is readily attainable out of a MSR, I could get over it if more readily available.
2) Supersonic at 1300 yards? "Ultimate" gets thrown around a lot, but I can't imagine a better coyote (or possibly Pronghorn) round.
3) 100 grain option? Obviously lethal on deer, especially at most Georgia distances.
4) Not sure what 'comparable' rounds they are comparing it to regarding 'half the recoil' but.... may very well be an ideal all around gun for small framed hunters as well.

Most new cartridges do nothing (especially practical) that isn't already being done well. This one 'might' be different.

if you want to launch 90gr bullets fast in a bolt gun why not go to a .22-250? Better brass selection and a little more umph. In an AR platform though this thing seems pretty sweet.

Think PRS gas gun matches.

Isn't the .22-250 a varmint round, and thus nearly all factory-made rifles chambered for it have a 1:14 twist barrel?
Isn't 1-14 the ideal twist rate for 50-grain varmint bullets, and just acceptable for 55 or 62 grain pills?
Who makes a .22-250 with a rifling twist rate suitable for stabilizing 90-grain bullets out to several hundred yards?

But, if you're talking about having a custom barrel installed on your favorite bolt action, that does sound like a good plan.

The .243 Winchester with 105-115 grain bullets, also fired from a fast-twist barreled rifle, will hit the "X" ring on a target out to 1000 yards or better. And .243 brass is really easy to find.

I'm interested to find out what altitude they are getting supersonic flight at 1300 yards. If it's sea level, it's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom