• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.224 Valkyrie

Meh,
What’s the point, other than some magical number attained.

Light bullet so it’s still going to be susceptible Wind, heat, deflection and all that.
I don’t see how this will improve any battle rifle.

the AR-15 was never supposed to be a 1000+ yard sniper/ countersniper rifle.
What's with fascination of trying to make it one?

If you like the platform but need to reach past 600 yards with great accuracy and hard-hitting power, go with something on the AR-10 frame and shoot the .308 or some necked-down variant of it.

Meh,
What’s the point, other than some magical number attained.

Light bullet so it’s still going to be susceptible Wind, heat, deflection and all that.
I don’t see how this will improve any battle rifle.
Actually, with the high BC the weight of the bullet is not the determining factor in the effect of atmospheric conditions. It doesn't matter if it's a 50 grain bullet or a 300 grain bullet, if they both have a 0.55 BC the flight characteristics will be identical at the same muzzle velocity.

the AR-15 was never supposed to be a 1000+ yard sniper/ countersniper rifle.
What's with fascination of trying to make it one?

If you like the platform but need to reach past 600 yards with great accuracy and hard-hitting power, go with something on the AR-10 frame and shoot the .308 or some necked-down variant of it.
For the same reason the AR15 was adopted over the AR10. It's lighter weight and you can carry more ammo. With that said, this is not what this cartridge is about. It's about getting maximum accurate range out of an AR platform. I like the idea even though I already have a very accurate M1a. It's also going to be a lot less expensive to get into this cartridge if you already have an AR15. All you need is the upper and you have an effective long range precision rifle.

I'm sure they had 6.5 Creedmoor performance in mind when they developed this for the AR15.

Isn't the .22-250 a varmint round, and thus nearly all factory-made rifles chambered for it have a 1:14 twist barrel?
Isn't 1-14 the ideal twist rate for 50-grain varmint bullets, and just acceptable for 55 or 62 grain pills?
Who makes a .22-250 with a rifling twist rate suitable for stabilizing 90-grain bullets out to several hundred yards?

But, if you're talking about having a custom barrel installed on your favorite bolt action, that does sound like a good plan.

The .243 Winchester with 105-115 grain bullets, also fired from a fast-twist barreled rifle, will hit the "X" ring on a target out to 1000 yards or better. And .243 brass is really easy to find.
Factory 22250 is 99% varmint guns with similar twist. But, you aren't comparing 2 purpose built tools. I can get a custom tube chambered with 6.5 or 7 twist and sling the 90gr bullets with more gusto than the valk. Just saying that for the money some folks sink into their factory guns, custom is not a long ways away. I suspect REDX REDX could get a bolt gun you already have set up to sling heavy .224 bullets for under $1k.

That's said you cant get a 22250 in an ar15 magwell so the valk is a pretty impressive cartridge and it poops on Noslers parade.

Factory 22250 is 99% varmint guns with similar twist. But, you aren't comparing 2 purpose built tools. I can get a custom tube chambered with 6.5 or 7 twist and sling the 90gr bullets with more gusto than the valk. Just saying that for the money some folks sink into their factory guns, custom is not a long ways away. I suspect REDX REDX could get a bolt gun you already have set up to sling heavy .224 bullets for under $1k.

That's said you can get a 22250 in an ar15 magwell so the valk is a pretty impressive cartridge and it poops on Noslers parade.
I think you meant "can't" get a 22-250 in an AR15 mag well.

Think PRS gas gun matches.
I believe that PRS has a speed limit.

Everything is a trade-off with cartridges. Steep shoulder angle = more powder but comes with feeding issues. More case capacity = more fps = harder on the throat. Anything new is typically going to be between 2 other cartridges or a side-grade of a current one. The closest you will get to "better" will typically be short and fat with the "inherent accuracy" but if you go too crazy with it I would bet there would be feeding issues introduced. If you go to a level where the new cartridge is the fastest <insert caliber here> then you will run into problems like it needing a different twist that is outside of the norm so then you have to get custom barrels beyond a different reamer but also a different twist. I have no problem with new cartridges but with how many there are, I just don't have the resources to constantly get new barrels and dies.

This cartridge was designed for the target and varmint shooter. the big difference between this and an AR10 is weight. I stopped shooting gas gun matches because the AR10 is HEAVY, this is a game changer Plus with it being lighter its going to be easier for youth/females to shoot. Hopefully I get to try one out in the next couple of months, if not I will see it at SHOT.

Bear44 Bear44 if it pans out this would be THE AR upper that we mess with. I was going to do the AR Turbo but its to much of an hassle for the average joe

Back
Top Bottom