• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.224 Valkyrie

e2478f2a887b17e5d80465227e50a592.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I want to see both from 16".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
And with the same approximate bullet. Compare the 90gr 224 valkyrie to a 6.5 grendel with a 90 gr speer tnt (0.281bc). Then we can compare apples to apples.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

And with the same approximate bullet. Compare the 90gr 224 valkyrie to a 6.5 grendel with a 90 gr speer tnt (0.281bc). Then we can compare apples to apples.

No the 123 is the bullet for the 6.5 G that I would want to run against the 90 .224. I'm just not interested in guns longer than 16" unless it's manually operated.

I really don't see what the hype is.... To fit any cartridge in a double stack mag, in an ar platform the case volumes are going to be very close. So really boils down to what caliber has the highest bc bullets available that are short enough allow the max amount of powder....

No the 123 is the bullet for the 6.5 G that I would want to run against the 90 .224. I'm just not interested in guns longer than 16" unless it's manually operated.

Case volumes are about the same, so for the same weight bullet you will be in the same ballpark. If you want to run the heavier bullet then you must accept the drop in performance.... If you could put the same weight bullet in valkyrie it would have the same drop in performance. You can't fight physics.....

Also, short barrels and long range are mutually exclusive in an ar platform.... Once again, physics...

A 90 grain .264 would have low sectional density and poor performance for hunting. And if you aren't hunting with it then just choose the round with the better ballistics/trajectory from the jump.

I really don't see what the hype is.... To fit any cartridge in a double stack mag, in an ar platform the case volumes are going to be very close. So really boils down to what caliber has the highest bc bullets available that are short enough allow the max amount of powder....

the hype is to get 6.5 CM capabilities out of a lighter weight AR15 sized platform. Is it idea for a bolt action? probably not because there are way to many better options out there. But If I can take of Pounds of gear instead of ounces its a no brainer.

If you READ my comment you would see I QUOTED hornady's sight. I gave you quotes from average 20"
guns. And you can believe "publicized" data all you want. The number JG gave are REAL numbers.

http://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/GANG of 65 GRENDELS _129.pdf
Um, the only 20" barrel data I see there has 123gr running 2662 and 2664 with 120gr running 2670. I don't see bc's listed for anything in that article. There is no 16" barrel data, but there is a 14.5" with a pinned A2 flash hider running 2450fps with factory 123gr. Accepted optimal barrel length for 6.5-grendel is 19.5". That's the sweet spot any less gives up significant fps any more and unless you are bench shooting its not worth the weight. From the article you linked, there is a 1-200fps difference depending on the barrel and twist between 18 and 20 inches. Kinda tells the sweet spot.....

At the end of the day, having all these different cartridges to choose from is a good thing. Let's everyone pick what they like. Honestly, the only reason I commented on this thread to begin with is that the Federal scope pic with the different drop/drift numbers was obviously skewed in their favor. I just wanted people to know the real numbers so they can make their own decisions. Your article helps by showing real world velocities for correct weight bullets. I only threw out the 90gr numbers for a fair comparison on cartridge capability for a similar weight and bc... Choosing a hunting load is a whole 'nother argument! Lol

I guess I need to find someone around Newnan that has a chronograph and get some real world velocities from my 6.5.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom