• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22LR for defense

QUOTE---kahrshooter
Join Date Jun 2010
Location Greater Metro Atlanta
Posts 229 Feedback Score 6 (100%) Against bunnies or squirrels, Hi-Velocity HP's.
Against humans, bent on doing you harm, you need penetration, and HP ammo, in any caliber, detracts from penetration.
Now, that's likely OK with .38spl +P and on up, where you have enough mass for the bullet to maintain its momentum, and obtain good penetration. But, IMO, not such a good idea in lesser calibers, including .22lr, which from pistol barrels will hit very much like .25acp from a pistol.My choice for using a .22lr for defense (if I had to) would be the highest velocity, highest grain weight, solid projectile I could find. A flat nose would be nice, as well.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Great advice indeed! Solids are all I use in my NAA. I'm still searching for "SOLID COPPER" .22 ammo (no lead). Someone mfg it back in the '60's but haven't seen it since.

My girlfriend is in a similar situation, she has of all things a very old Ruger Single Six that was her father's. On the Pathfinders, can you swap the cylinder for a .22 mag? If so I'd recommend this and loading it again with the hottest, heaviest solid projectiles you can find. I've got a case of Maxi-Mags that she keeps 6 in the gun. Not the "ideal" self defense gun but then again, it's better than nuthin'

Unfortunately that's not the case with the pathfinders

Back
Top Bottom