• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

25-06 laddeer test

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
I have been handloading for the 25-06 for over a decade now and thought I was getting good accuracy. That is until today.
I went out to Charlie Elliot to do some ladder testing today. I took about 110 rounds loaded with various bullets, powders and primers and a couple of different rifles.
I got some super results and have come to the conclusion that no matter what the load data books say, no matter what people tell you there are only a couple of powders truly suitable for the 25-06. I found them today and will list them for you. There is Reloader 22 or you can use RL22 and Aliant Reloader 22 also works. If you are really hard up you can also use Reloader 22.
I fired 70 rounds loaded with 4350, 4831, 7828 and RL 19 I used Sierras and Noslers in different weights as well as 3 different primers.

Then I got to the rounds loaded with reloader 22. WOW! 10 shot groups you could cover with a quarter with both 110gr Accubonds and 100gr Ballistic tips from 2 different rifles. Heck 8 of the shots from each group you could cover with a dime. I dont know why each group had 2 flyers but after 10 years I found what I've been searching for.
Ya Hoo.
them laddeers wont stand a chance

Last edited:
As a 25caliber fan I am glad to hear of the good results. It is funny but my best group has been with a Hornaday 117 grain SP. I am currently shooting 115 grain Bergers pushed by Hybrid 100v.

BHJ do you load your 25-06 for varmits in the lighter stuff like 75 grains?

My 25-06 (an older Ruger) seems to like the R-22 best, also. I think it's a great powder for that caliber. Nice find. I notice your initial 70 rounds didn't include any H414 or Varget. If you haven't tried those in your 25, give 'em a shot. They do good for me in that cailber.

Congratulations on your results. Finding the best accuracy powders for your particular rifle, bullet combo is great. I too am a fan of Reloader powders, with RL19 having been one of the best powders I've used in several calibers. Just take into consideration that with another rifle, in different weather, your results may vary. Did you compare your velocity results with the different powders? I like to use a chronograph to help assess my loads too.

I shoot the 25-06 and like RL-22 with bullets 100 grs and heavier and IMR 4350 or RL-19 with the 87 gr speer TNTs. I have one that is an Ackley that makes really good groups with the 87s.

I haven't invested in a chrony but may soon so I can calculate the proper dope for a couple of different rifles and order up some calibrated long range turrets.
I am constantly looking for an accuracy load this time I found it. The fact that I found one that shrinks my group with the best deer hunting bullet (the 110 Accubond) I have tested is awesome. The Accubonds performance from 75-260 yds on game has been stellar with very large deep wound channels and drops em like lightning. My brother my son and I have used this bullet with my old load (IMR4350) with very decent accuracy and great terminal effectiveness.
I have tried some of the 75gr v max in the past with several powders and couldn't get them to group well enough to justify the effort (hit little bitty fragile targets) so I moved on. Tried some of the heavy bullets from 117-120grs and also didn't get the results I was looking for, though the factory loaded core locts did well. I havent tried the heavies with the RL22 yet but will probably try em again. The middle of the road bullets in this caliber seem easier to get to group.I also even fell into the new Hornady superperformance Hype and realized that they are no faster than published data for this caliber and that the SST jacket is far too thin for 25-06 velocity's and deer unless you're taking a soft tissue shot. Really more of a varmint bullet. They are very explosive on problem beavers and nutria though if you can hit em, just not accurate enough in my gun to be making 300+ yard shots across the pond. Heck they cost enough so I shot em up. The 100 gr NBTs should now fill this role nicely with 1 shot and a fountain of red mist and flying fur. Sure as heck does that to a pumpkin :)
I do have plenty of Varget on hand but use it primarily in .22-250 and .308.
I've also tried Retumbo but now just keep it on hand for big heavy bullets in the RUM
If you haven't tried RL22 in a quarter bore I highly reccomend giving it a try. though I was getting great accuracy I do plan on fine tuning it in search of the ever elusive one hole load.

Disclaimer:
These loads are stupid accurate in my rifles and are conservative.
Verify this data through a published load manual before trying these loads.
Under loaded cartridges can be just as dangerous as overloaded ones. It is safe in my rifle but may not be in yours.

Winchester WLR primer, 53gr of RL22, 100gr Nosler ballistic tip, seated .015 off the lands. My OAL was 3.212"

Winchester WLR primer, 51.5gr of RL22, 110gr Nosler Accubond seated .015 off the lands. My OAL was 3.226

Last edited:
I have used Rl-19 and 115 gr ballistic tips. Have also used 4350 and 120 gr speer hotcors. Both shoot rather well. Ill try your recipe in my 20" and 24" barreled rifles and have a look see. thanks for the 411

Give the RL22 a try and chime back in and let me know how it does for you. It worked better for accuracy in 2 different rifles a 22" savage 110 Sporter and a 24" heavy barrel110FP than anything else I've tried. It's a little slower than the RL19 and gives great case volume.

Back
Top Bottom