• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

25 Years ago

I was living up near the New Hampshire border, laughing my butt of at Southerners trying to drive in snow.

Little did I know...

Moved my brother in law and his new wife as the snow fell into their new apartment. Went back to my girlfriends basement apartment (now my wife) and got snowed in for a couple of days. Good thing her land Lord was a great cook and had food.

When i got divorced in 90 I said i would get remarried when hell froze over. Well I did it again March 12 1993 in Charleston. That night it blew roof off building next to us and raised our ceiling a good 4 inches. Decided to head home at 4am. Just celebrated 25 years yesterday. Guess hell did freeze over that day. That was a good snow.

I had a friend that had a new calf born the early AM of the 13th. It's mama died right after having it. It needed some colostrum and I had some. A friend and I drove over past Bowdon in a 4 WD Toyota. It took hours to go 12 miles and back. We encountered some 4 and 5 ft snow drifts and had 22 inches on level ground.

Will never forget that day or the following week or two.

I was staying with some friends just north of Blairsville on Pat Colwell rd. I mentioned to a guy that the stupid weatherman was calling for snow again after not much snow the last few times. He suggested that we ride to the top of Brasstown Bald where "there was sure to be a little snow". So off we went in my '69 VW. We got there and had time to walk up one of the hiking paths enjoying the scenic snow as we walked......Then it started really coming down. HUGE flakes of snow. We decided to start making our way back down. One of the guys had a story about sliding down the mountain riding the guard rail and destroying his car. By the time we made it back to town there was a good 6 inches already and luckily we were in the VW with four people inside. The little Bug plowed through the snow and back to where we were staying. We hunkered down. The power went off and again we were lucky because we had gas heat.
The next morning came around and my VW was literally just a bump in the snow. The drifts against the house were at least 8 feet deep on one side. The poor dog tried to jump off the back porch and disappeared in the snow (we rescued him). The home next door was my friends grandmother and she had a basement stocked full of food...and a pool table. We were good to go.
The next morning another friend showed up in his lifted Jeep. He was checking on us to make sure that we had food and heat. He then invited us to go check on the Huddle House where he worked. The drive into town was crazy. We were hitting hidden pine trees that had fallen and then covered in snow. the big Jeep was bouncing over them. We made it to town, opened the Huddle House and realized that we were the only people around except for a few National Guard Humvees.

I personally measured 27 inches in the middle of the road, two days after it started. The official measurement for Blairsville was 35 inches.

Back
Top Bottom