• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

25 Years ago

I remember seeing only one or two cars on 285 heading to the airport to pick up a friend. Only one lane had tire tracks in it. Had to pull out into a foot or more of snow to pass. We lived up in Cobb Co at the time.
I had a small side job selling firewood in my subdivision by the wheelbarrow load I went out to make a delivery in the snow and when I came back my answering machine at 10 other calls on it I delivered firewood in that wheelbarrow until you couldn't go forward you had to turn around and pull it when I finish those 10 I shut off my machine and stayed home.

I was driving from North East Georgia back to Ft Knox and it hit me around Chattanooga. I was driving a long bed S-10 with a 350 V-8 swapped in, with wheels and tires off an IROC-Z, not much help in the snow. Oh, it also was a convertible with a thin vinyl soft top that always leaked. That was a long ride.

Made it back to Ft Knox very late, next day my truck was completely buried. Ft Knox was shut down completely for a few days, but I was living in the barracks and could walk to the Mess Hall.

I was assigned to one of the M-88 Recovery Vehicles. The diesel had jellied from the cold and it would not start until we were able to pull it into one of the maintenance bays and let it sit in the heat for a day or two. Luckily the second M-88 had been sitting in a bay when the cold hit. Man, that thing was like sitting in a solid steel freezer.

Wife was 9 months pregnant. Power went out on the first day. Got down to 54 degrees in the house the evening of the 14th when the power came back on. Baby started to come around 11PM on the 14th. Had to drive into the ATL to our chosen hospital with our 2 year old. I-20 had almost one lane clear - enough for the Chevy Celebrity to make it the 25 miles in. Baby was born 0130 on the 15th - almost did not make it all the way to the LDR room.

We will never forget that storm.

I was on a 5 week mission trip to southern India where the coldest day was 85. I called my wife every night and sympathized with her situation of no power and can't keep the wood stove burning. The National Guard was using Humvees to pick up medical personal and our neighbor up above us on our hill in Tiger was a nurse. The NG guys couldn't even make it halfway up our hill without getting stuck. I got a chilly reception when I got home.

Back
Top Bottom