• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

26 Nosler?

My post above is rather moot now that you've chosen that new rifle.
But, let me ask you this:
At what ranges and conditions would you leave your very accurate .308 at home because the match you're shooting calls for .300 magnum performance?
And, similarly, at what point will you pack up the .300 mag, zip it up in its case, bring out the bigger gun and say "This is a job for the .338 Mag!" ??
All good points. ^^^

The 338 LM is being set up for extreme range. I'm waiting for a 75 MOA base for it now. My starting zero for the center cross-hair will be around 620 yards and the rifle is a bit of a monster. It has a lot of muzzle blast and I actually try to set up away from other shooter to be polite. The whole rig is a bit unwieldy and is not the best for a rapid set up or improvised shooting positions.

As you point out, though the 308 is an excellent round and will still be supersonic a bit past 1000 yards with the bullet I use, it's more at home from 800 yards and in.

My decision was not about whether the 26 Nosler was worth getting because my 308 is accurate. My first thought was to get a 6.5 Creedmoor, but when looking at the data it became clear it simply isn't that much better than the 308, thus I started looking at faster 6.5s, the 26 Nosler. The choice came down to either a 26 Nosler or a 300 Win Mag, because both of those rounds would be very well suited for ranges from 800 to around 1300 or 1400 yards. They will also make my 308 a bit obsolete, but every long range shooter should have a precision 308... just because. LOL!

I went with the 300 over the 26 simply because there is a lot more history and data with the 300. The same is true as for available rifles, ammo and ammunition components. The 300 is also a more efficient killer at long range. No way I would take a shot on an elk at 1000 yards with the 26, but I wouldn't hesitate with the 300 if the conditions were right.

I am looking at two more rifles to add to my collection. One is the CZ 550 FS with the Manlicher stock ( the full stock that goes all the way to the muzzle ). It reminds me of the old war rifles. The other is a 300 win mag of some make. I can't nail down the manufacturer but It will come to fruition.

I am looking at two more rifles to add to my collection. One is the CZ 550 FS with the Manlicher stock ( the full stock that goes all the way to the muzzle ). It reminds me of the old war rifles. The other is a 300 win mag of some make. I can't nail down the manufacturer but It will come to fruition.
I got lucky and got a great deal on a 300 from a member here. He can't meet until Sunday or later, but it's a done deal. It just so happens that when I was at AO today they had the exact same rifle and I got to handle it. Sweet!

Back
Top Bottom