• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

260, 7mm-08, & 308

Based on the decription in your of your hunting style-short range, you might like a 45-70 Marlin lever gun, a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester bolt gun, or one of the large caliber AR15’s like the 450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom.

I shoot 257 Roberts quite a bit.
I have have great success with 4350 powder and Nosler 100 grain partions. But and good cup and core bullet works just fine. I like 100 grain if shots could be out past 100 yards and 117 or 120 grain if shots will be inside of 100 yards. All of my 257 rifles love Nosler ballistic tips, but I have not been impressed with the performance on deer. With partitions they drop like a sack of bricks. Very mild recoil and easy to shoot well.

Thanks for the input guys!

Killerv Thanks for the input on the 6mm rem.

Rosewood I like the idea of using the bullet to measure OAL, that's about as simple as it gets. I too have seen groups tighten up when proper headspace is achieved!

1006 I am indeed looking to buy a Kimber. I read those same reviews about how they had trouble with accuracy. I also read that they got it under control and I'm hoping to get a good one. That was in the back of my mind when I started looking at the different calibers listed in this thread. The 260 and 7mm08 shine in the area of having multiple bullet weights available that could be loaded for deer without starting to get big recoil numbers for a small gun (at 2600-2800 fps with great sectional density). That was kind of my thinking, if the gun doesn't like my first choice of bullet weight, the more options I have to move up or down until I find that sweet spot, the better! I agree that those calibers you suggested would definitely get the job done, but with more recoil than I would want for this smaller rifle.

tas6691 That 257 Roberts just has something going for it that I can't really put my finger on. I guess it's because every time I research it, ton's of people say it's the perfect whitetail caliber and it works great, coupled with the fact that I've never seen one being used. I'd like to try one. See how it works on a deer.

If you are going to reload go .260. It does everything a .308 does but can reach further. You can get a few more fps with .260 over 6.5creedmoor. bUt at those distances... a .308 gets it done. Less recoil on the 6.5mm loads.

I have had great success in my A-Bolt 7mm-08 with Noslers and IMR 4064. Another 1500 rounds and my throat erosion will require either a barrel or accepting 1.5 inch groups instead of the dime sized ones that I started out with. 154s shoot very well also. That being said, when the 7mm barrel is gone, I will have it rebarreled to .308, so that I only need .224 and .308 bullets. Maybe 32s if the Mausers hang around. If you like 30-06, go with the .308 and shoot the same bullets. The same powders work, and logistics will be easier. Many a 1000 yard match has been shot with 30cal, and the deer will never know the difference. If you load for youngsters, softer 30-30 bullets can be driven at lower speeds for hunting. If my boy didn't have a 30-30 to shoot, it would be a .308 for him.

Some very interesting points guys, thanks for all the input!

My manual states that some 260 rifles with a standard chamber can run into issues with the longer bullets contacting the lands, and warns to seat the bullets accordingly. Anyone familiar with Kimber specs? I want to speak with them on the phone, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Have you guys ever encountered any issues in your own rifles?

A load that I found to be quiet pleasing ballistically, was the 129gr Hornady interlock in 260 with the velocity around 2600-2700 fps, it seemed to be very light recoiling when compared to loads having 10-20 more grains of lead and moving around 2800 fps, and it still has a sectional density of .264!

While studying my Hornady reloading manual I noticed the .264 bullets seem to have a wider range of useful velocity when compared to the 7mm-08 & .308 bullets on average (1600-3300 and 2200-3400). I'd be interested to know how and for what reason this occurs?

Also, anyone shooting 257 Roberts behind the deer's shoulders and getting consistent pass through shots?
I've shot several with pass through out of my Roberts using Nosler 100gr Partitions. But they aren't popular among the modern "Magic Bullet" crowd.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I've shot several with pass through out of my Roberts using Nosler 100gr Partitions. But they aren't popular among the modern "Magic Bullet" crowd.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Partitions, those are old and no good. Just like the 30-06, 45 acp, 45 Colt, 357 magnum, 9mm, 8mm Mauser. Get with the times man

Partitions, those are old and no good. Just like the 30-06, 45 acp, 45 Colt, 357 magnum, 9mm, 8mm Mauser. Get with the times man

Man, you got that right! I guess Partitions aren't any good any more in my 7mm Mauser or 264Win Mag, either. What am I gonna do when my stash runs out?!?

Now they tell me my .257 Roberts loaded with Jack O'Conner's recipe are over-loaded...gosh, what's a guy to do?

Thanks for all the input guys! If I could have one of each I definitely would!

I recently read about some people having problems with 243's giving less than stellar performance with certain bullets. I'm assuming the loads were too hot or the wrong type of weight or bullet construction for the application (assuming they were using medium game rated bullets, not varmint, and placing the shot in the vitals). I was just wondering if you guys had an experience with 243's under penetrating and experiencing "blow-up" that could potentially wound a deer or make tracking it hard?

What kind grain and brand of bullet have you guys with 243's had success with and can recommend?

Also, are there any limitations to taking shots at the shoulders and neck area that might be considered low percentage to penetrate through the vitals?

Back
Top Bottom