• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

260, 7mm-08, & 308

Thanks for all the great input guys!

I think it's probably down to the 308 and 7-08 for me and honestly, at this point, it's more about the wood on the gun and the price I'll have to pay to get it than it is about the caliber. If I found one in a 260 or 257 that I just felt right about I'd get it. Thanks again for all the information posted and educating me a little bit of the effectiveness of these calibers for deer!

On a side note, does anyone know any local gun shops (preferably within an hour from Duluth, GA) that usually have a good selection of nice bolt guns like Kimbers or other brands with hand-cut checkering? I've called Franklins in Athens and Adventure in Smyrna. Any places I might give a call to see what they have on hand?

We like calibers that can use the same caliber, and bullet weights.

308 300 BLK, 30-06, 308 NORMA, 300 Win mag, 300 WBY Mag, 300 SAVAGE, 300 WSM, 30 M1 CARBINE,

.284 7MM REM Mag, 7-08, 7 MM WBY Mag, 7 MM WSM...

and we are sure there more also...

just another simple suggestion to consider...

Thanks for all the great input guys!

I think it's probably down to the 308 and 7-08 for me and honestly, at this point, it's more about the wood on the gun and the price I'll have to pay to get it than it is about the caliber. If I found one in a 260 or 257 that I just felt right about I'd get it. Thanks again for all the information posted and educating me a little bit of the effectiveness of these calibers for deer!

On a side note, does anyone know any local gun shops (preferably within an hour from Duluth, GA) that usually have a good selection of nice bolt guns like Kimbers or other brands with hand-cut checkering? I've called Franklins in Athens and Adventure in Smyrna. Any places I might give a call to see what they have on hand?

If you want wood and checkering, get ready to pay some big bucks!!! If you hunt in the rain you do not want wood, because the stock can expand and contract affecting the moa, point of impact. Think about a Bell & Carlson, or a McMillan. they are better for accuracy...

Nice wood is hard to find, and I generally prefer that my hunting guns have synthetic stocks. Cabelas sometimes has nicer wood stocks, but you may have to get someone to order it in.

SAKO, has really nice guns with checkering, and European Black Walnut, the guns are very accurate, the wood is ornate. The finish is undescribable, amazing fantastic smooth and a brilliant luster,simply beautiful, and simply expensive, however the guns are made to perfection.

There is no such thing as a beautiful gun and at cheap price...

Well, I definitely can't agree more with the nice guns costing more and I've always liked Sako. I had the chance to handle a new Kimber Select and to my surprise, the checkering isn't hand cut (only the Super America's have this treatment). I decided to pass.

I did, however, find something that fit me perfectly with a lighter feel and more compact feel to it when compared to other guns I'd felt with 22" barrels. The gun I liked was the Remington model Seven CDL w/20" barrel. The bolt on that rifle was smooth. I was very impressed with the gun but it had handling marks from being on display so I kept looking and found something on gunbroker.

I ordered a new Model Seven CDL in 260 rem. I debated over the 260 and the 7mm-08 and decided there are enough bullets available to reload both, so I'll try the 260. I also came to the conclusion that I'd be better off sticking to the 100-140 grain range when trying to reduce recoil. If I were to increase the weight past 140 it would most likely be to 154/156 and probably never see anything heavier. I could have done fine with either caliber, as well as the others mentioned, but from what was available on gunbroker at the moment, I just couldn't get over the grain pattern on one of the 260's.

I always liked the 260 rem & it should work on most anything. I probably would have picked one up myself if I didn't already have a long range 308 & a lightweight 243.

But chances are if I new I'd come across some big body deer that I didn't want to track I'd grab my Sako 85 in 338 fed. I haven't used it on any game yet, but have some 180 gr Accubonds loaded up for it when the chance comes.

Back
Top Bottom