• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.270 with Varget

EarlG

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I loaded .270 with a 130 grain Hornady SST and 48 grains of Varget. Now I am a little worried that the load might be to the high side of pressure. I wonder if I should take the bullets out and drop the load by 2 grains, or just test fire the load first. Also, I know Varget is not the ideal .270 powder, i just wanted to keep from buying another powder if possible..

I got the load from the Hodgdon site, but I don't think the bullets are identical.
Here's the two loads from the Hodgdon site:

BULLET WEIGHT130 GR. BAR TSX
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon
Varget
.277"
3.230"
54,800 PSI
63,200 PSI
BULLET WEIGHT130 GR. HDY SP
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon
Varget
.277"
3.180"
43,900 CUP
49,600 CUP

Earl, I've been reloading a long time, have reloaded that caliber, but never with Varget.
I have a rule that has kept me safe for a long time.

As soon as I'm not comfortable with something I don't shoot it.
I'd take them apart, use less powder and put them together again.
I'm not shooting it, if I don't feel good about it.
Smart of you to listen to that little voice......

That being said, I've many times reloaded off a recipe where the bullet type wasn't the exact one in the recipe, but as long as it was the same weight, I was comfortable loading it to pretty close the max OAL.
I figured that max OAL gave me a little room to breath too.
Then I'd shoot them over a chrony and work from there.

Good on you for asking and being careful and welcome to the ODT.

Thanks for the answers. I'll measure the barrel and post the answer.

I think I will follow biker_bill advice and take the loads apart and drop the powder.

You may want to start over and read every word of a good reloading manual from the very beginning up to the load data.
Why the heck did you start at the maximum recommended powder charge?
That is not a safe reloading practice at all and in direct conflict with every load manual I've ever read.
Dangerous not only to yourself, but everyone around you when you drop the firing pin on one of those rounds.
"Start at the minimum charge weight for each specific bullet and work your way up while checking for signs of excessive pressure at each increment." There is a reason they call it a "starting charge weight".

Back
Top Bottom