• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

271 acres, $100k Darien, Ga. (McIntosh county)

The strip bar was always a mystery to me since it seemed really out of place in that area. I guess they depended on I95 bidness. It was closed many years before we got there. About 2 years ago the city or county got the property and demolished the building. It was supposed to be the site of the new Darien Welcome Center . But nothing there yet. It's a shame that a town with that kinda potential is that stagnant .

Anyone considering locating in McIntosh County should read the book, "Praying for Sheetrock."

All the people in the book (mostly) are dead but the political structure continues on.

It will explain the strip bar.

Anyone considering locating in McIntosh County should read the book, "Praying for Sheetrock."

All the people in the book (mostly) are dead but the political structure continues on.

I'm halfway through reading it right now. Didn't know the strip bar was a part of it.

I'm halfway through reading it right now. Didn't know the strip bar was a part of it.

Not that strip bar in particular, but the role of strip bars/clip joints in the McIntosh Culture.

I was on a speaking acquaintance with about 2/3ds the people in that book.

I was "wired" in the counties around McIntosh, but my boss, from an old family in the area, warned me that I need to make sure to check in with Sheriff Tom Poppell and let him know if I was going to go hog hunting in the county. i could shoot all the deer I wanted any time i wanted, but no hogs without the Sheriff's permission. Didn't matter if it was on state land or not, he considered all the hogs in the county his.

No telling how much "square grouper" was landed in Mcintosh in the 70s and 80s.

The Poppells are still alive and strong in the county. Adam Poppell is county attorney. The existing commission chairman has held that post since 2004. I don't know why he stays in power. He hasn't done anything to improve the county in his tenure. My dad used to tell me stories of the clip joints, con men, and the notorious speed trap up the road in Ludowici. that pissed Lester Maddox off so bad he bought a billboard coming in to town to warn travelers. There's a history of corruption down here. But the fishing sure is good and I love some fresh shrimp.

Reactions: MRM

One of my all time favorite books. Last time I was in Darien my son and I went to see Tom Poppel's grave just to say we did.

The Poppells are still alive and strong in the county. Adam Poppell is county attorney. The existing commission chairman has held that post since 2004. I don't know why he stays in power. He hasn't done anything to improve the county in his tenure. My dad used to tell me stories of the clip joints, con men, and the notorious speed trap up the road in Ludowici. that pissed Lester Maddox off so bad he bought a billboard coming in to town to warn travelers. There's a history of corruption down here. But the fishing sure is good and I love some fresh shrimp.

The friend flounder at Skipper's Fish Camp makes it all worth it!

I own 6 separate lots in Shellman Bluff. If you have any sort of structure they'll tax you. Metal carport, portable carport, falling in green house, 8x8 metal shed, pup tent, ect. You have to watch your appraisal closely and be ready to dispute it. They drive around the county taking pictures of boats and send tax bills to owners who live in other counties. The taxes I pay down here are higher than what I paid in Walton county and its worth less down here. Property owners pick up the slack for a very rural county. It's haves and have nots. I'm not sure if the government is corrupt or incompetent. I think some of both. They just spent almost $200k to buy the old Wendys to turn it in to a welcome center. Never mind the $300k they spent 3 years ago for the property where the old café Risqué used to be which was supposed to be the welcome center. They seem to bumble around. That tract of land looks like it's mostly marshland. Look at the map and where there are trees is usable. Most of the other would be nearly inaccessible. I shot a 200+ lb boar hog just down Cathead Creek next to I-95 so I'm sure there would be pigs there. Still interesting though. I have been looking at much smaller tracts down here to set up a personal shooting range and I sure haven't found anything in that price range. I might ride down there the next few days and take a peek. I don't have $100k burning a hole in my pocket but this is interesting. Maybe start a mosquito research center.
You're 110% on mosquitoes. When we lived on Truesdale it was off Blounts Crossing Rd. On our side mosquitoes and sand gnats were an issue but on the other side of Blounts Crossing on Black Road Extension it was so bad you basically had to run from the car to the house.
When you head back up north into Eulonia and Townsend it's the same way. You just don't know what the bug situation will be until you get there.

The marina there in shellman bluff told us the story need to buy the book
But sold the boat 2 weeks ago!

I have spent the last 5 months every weekend in McIntosh county and we really like it there
We are actively looking to buy a house there with a dock

Back
Top Bottom