• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

271 acres, $100k Darien, Ga. (McIntosh county)

Not that strip bar in particular, but the role of strip bars/clip joints in the McIntosh Culture.

I was on a speaking acquaintance with about 2/3ds the people in that book.

I was "wired" in the counties around McIntosh, but my boss, from an old family in the area, warned me that I need to make sure to check in with Sheriff Tom Poppell and let him know if I was going to go hog hunting in the county. i could shoot all the deer I wanted any time i wanted, but no hogs without the Sheriff's permission. Didn't matter if it was on state land or not, he considered all the hogs in the county his.

No telling how much "square grouper" was landed in Mcintosh in the 70s and 80s.
One of the first chapters in Praying for Sheetrock tells all about Poppell telling people those were his hogs no matter where they were shot. But I can tell you there's some monster hogs in the marsh down there.

The marina there in shellman bluff told us the story need to buy the book
But sold the boat 2 weeks ago!

I have spent the last 5 months every weekend in McIntosh county and we really like it there
We are actively looking to buy a house there with a dock
If it's not too much of a drive for you I would strongly recommend Camden County over McIntosh.

I have to agree. The whole fried flounder is really good there. B&J's up the road fried shrimp was rated top 100 plates in Ga. They are really good.
How in the hell can B&Is be in the top ten anything ? It's an all fried buffet about 8 feet long served in an old service station with the same carpet on the floor that they had 30 years ago. Oh and they charge you like they were on St Simons on the water.

You're 110% on mosquitoes. When we lived on Truesdale it was off Blounts Crossing Rd. On our side mosquitoes and sand gnats were an issue but on the other side of Blounts Crossing on Black Road Extension it was so bad you basically had to run from the car to the house.
When you head back up north into Eulonia and Townsend it's the same way. You just don't know what the bug situation will be until you get there.

I bought a backpack fogger this spring. It has a 4 gallon tank that you load with skeeter killer. It seems to knock them back pretty well and lasts for a week or so. The gnats won't be a big issue until it starts to cool off. I'll have to wait until then to see how it works on them. The yellow flies and horseflies were bad early summer when it was so dry. That's part of living here you have to get used to. Honestly, the mosquitoes were just as bad at my old house. I was surrounded by woods and they would eat you up if you didn't spray yourself down.

Nope we like shellman bluff area. Very quiet area
I do hate the golf carts on the road
Shellman is where I would wanna go if I was going back there. But if you go a little further down 95 into Camden County at the Harrietts Bluff Rd Exit ( among others) it looks the same as Shellman where all the streets run down to a community boat ramp. Cool houses on stilts and all that. Woodbine, Waverly and St Mary's are a lot nicer than Darien and right next to Yulee.
Granted, I WOULD definitely move to Shellman at the right price if I had the resources.

How in the hell can B&Is be in the top ten anything ? It's an all fried buffet about 8 feet long served in an old service station with the same carpet on the floor that they had 30 years ago. Oh and they charge you like they were on St Simons on the water.

I don't do the buffet. Go for lunch and get the fried shrimp plate for $14. It's a plate full and they're good. The weekend buffet is just crazy. People setting up lawn chairs to wait for 2 hours so they can stuff their face. No thanks. I just don't eat out a lot unless I have guests. Everything down here is fried. It's good every once in a while but you have to moderate. I like grilling or boiling shrimp at home. Then I can swill all the beers I want without worrying about driving anywhere.

Shellman is where I would wanna go if I was going back there. But if you go a little further down 95 into Camden County at the Harrietts Bluff Rd Exit ( among others) it looks the same as Shellman where all the streets run down to a community boat ramp. Cool houses on stilts and all that. Woodbine, Waverly and St Mary's are a lot nicer than Darien and right next to Yulee.
Granted, I WOULD definitely move to Shellman at the right price if I had the resources.

This is across the street from my house. I can't complain about that view. I'm not going anywhere soon.
22050283_10209450855938866_3277975146763291491_n.jpg

I bought a backpack fogger this spring. It has a 4 gallon tank that you load with skeeter killer. It seems to knock them back pretty well and lasts for a week or so. The gnats won't be a big issue until it starts to cool off. I'll have to wait until then to see how it works on them. The yellow flies and horseflies were bad early summer when it was so dry. That's part of living here you have to get used to. Honestly, the mosquitoes were just as bad at my old house. I was surrounded by woods and they would eat you up if you didn't spray yourself down.
Oh yeah I forgot about the damn horseflies. Them sumbitches were persistent. They'd hit you once and come back again. I've stomped out several of them. Overall the bugs are the bugs but it's still worth the view. Shellman is SO cool. Golf carts and all.

I don't do the buffet. Go for lunch and get the fried shrimp plate for $14. It's a plate full and they're good. The weekend buffet is just crazy. People setting up lawn chairs to wait for 2 hours so they can stuff their face. No thanks. I just don't eat out a lot unless I have guests. Everything down here is fried. It's good every once in a while but you have to moderate. I like grilling or boiling shrimp at home. Then I can swill all the beers I want without worrying about driving anywhere.
Well I will say that B&Js wasn't the worst place we went. I hate to say it since I think it was owned by the murdered Eulonia and Darien liquor store owner. But Aultmans has to be the worst ever. It sucked like no other. We didn't even have the buffet since I couldn't identify some of the **** on it. But it was awful.
Butmmi still feel bad for the guys family. ****in PTSD Glynn Co deputy killed him and never should've been out of jail to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom