• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

271 acres, $100k Darien, Ga. (McIntosh county)

First time we went to Shellman shwas around 07.

Shellman was where I would put in when I was fishing saltwater, or 2 Way.

Mrs. Speeds Kitchen put the funk in funky, for the uninitiated, it was two mobilehomes in a "T". I was there once and had to wait for them to unload the boat for my baked flounder - about as fresh as you can get. God, it was good.

If you're not living on the islands you don't want to live in Glynn Co. Brunswick is like a smaller version of Macon but with the added problem of constant water and sewage problems. I've never seen so many boil water advisories in my life as Brunswick.

100% truth. Even in the 70's, if you didn't live on one of the islands, you didn't count.

The leases on Jekyll Island are the biggest boondoggle in the whole State of Georgia. Jekyll Island will sell off the common man's access to the beaches to the highest bidder, but mention "fair market value" about the residential leases, and you probably end up in jail.

One of my biggest life regrets is not buying a place in St. Marys before the sub base was built. Downtown looked like most rural S. Ga. town, dilapidated, abandoned buildings. stinky mill town controlled by one family, no future in modernization - I could have picked up a waterfront or river lot for under $10K, river probably in the neighborhood of $3-4K.

Even today, if I had the choice, I would take a place up the river.

I heard stories about the Buccaneer from locals I worked with at the port. Nothing left now but post cards of it.
But yeah as far as the Buccaneer in McIntosh it's quite the legend in the area.

Yeah, it took two tries for the owners to burn it down. Sometimes you just can't get good help. If I remember, someone died in one of the "accidental" fires.

Tue hippie activist lawyers that moved down to Brunswick to open a legal aid office and their back and forth with the black community in McIntosh.

Them's my friends you're talking about.

They were mostly from Nrw York City, and to say that they experienced culture shock would be a gross understatement. They were "hippie activists" granted, but they were willing to take on a political structure and judicial system that was straight from the early 19th century.

BUT what is underplayed in the book (I think) considering a person in the legal profession wrote it, is the support the hippies received from the local bar and the judiciary. District Court Judge Alaimo, a great man and judge, ran interference for them.

Dirt cheap land, but it’s way to far away to even consider it for personal hunting or recreational land. I guess if it were close it would be priced accordingly. Great deal for anyone close enough to use it.

This has turned out to be one of my most favorite ODT threads ever. Feel like I was on the porch of an old General store learning from wise men. Thanks!!

Same. I have always been fascinated with small town southern history, and particularly in Ga...I had no idea this thread would unfold like it did, but I have enjoyed reading about this small corner of the state and its history, because I knew nothing about it beforehand. I am so intrigued that I had to order the sheetrock book. This kind of stuff is right up my alley.

Well I guess I shouldn't judge McIntosh too hard. Now we live back in Houston Co where the same crook has been sheriff since 1973. Surely he's on the up and up ,right? And in Jones County where my wife grew up it's been the same sheriff since the early 80s and his father before him and probably his son Scott Reece when Butch retires.
Since '73?! That has got to be a record.

Not surprised! - he's probably got more shady ties than Don Corleone. Maybe not voting for him wasn't an option, lol.
He's known state wide. Cullen Talton. He's tight with all the money people in Houston Co including Sonny Crooked Ass Perdue who live further down the same road. There's a long running joke in Bonaire that Sonny left in a pickup truck and came back in a helicopter. Yeah there's a helipad behind Sonny's house . And Talton backed him all the way.

Back
Top Bottom