• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2nd rut

Most definitely. I have a resident doe now that still hasn't dropped her fawns from last year. I see her every day, and I've seen her get chased a couple of times by young bucks, including very early in the season, but she's always back with her fawns the next day. I expect with the full moon coming up and the cold snap next week, she'll go into estrous.

When you see those fawns by their lonesome, you will know.

Hopefully you will see her at the same time she separates from them. My guess is those young bucks will experience the same fate as those fawns. Separated from the doe.

Good luck buddy, hope you can catch up with him!

Don’t show these pics to your Wife, she might go kill him first!
Haha. This is a bow only property. She’s got her sights set on a couple around the house but also gonna go to dads property not far from you on the river Sunday evening. He’s got some pictures that will get you excited for sure. Here’s one.
C68ECF3D-1541-46BA-98E2-302D36915D7B.jpeg

I know it’s tail end of the peak activity but I’m still seeing plenty of signs around. It ain’t over til it’s over!

When you see those fawns by their lonesome, you will know.

Hopefully you will see her at the same time she separates from them. My guess is those young bucks will experience the same fate as those fawns. Separated from the doe.

I watched her walk in in last night by herself, and I got all excited. But the button walked in a minute or so later, and the doe fawn followed several minutes later. It's getting close but still just a little too early.

Reactions: MRH
Most definitely. I have a resident doe now that still hasn't dropped her fawns from last year. I see her every day, and I've seen her get chased a couple of times by young bucks, including very early in the season, but she's always back with her fawns the next day. I expect with the full moon coming up and the cold snap next week, she'll go into estrous.

I understand all doe will not go into heat the same week. The rut takes place over a period of months. Some times being more activity than others. I'm saying if you are to call it a 2nd rut, that should mean they have been in heat once already and not bread?

I understand all doe will not go into heat the same week. The rut takes place over a period of months. Some times being more activity than others. I'm saying if you are to call it a 2nd rut, that should mean they have been in heat once already and not bread?

Gotcha. That I'm not sure about, but I can give some of my personal experience again with this same doe. She's got jet black ears so she's very easy to spot, and I've been watching her for three years now since she was a fawn.

Last year she came in to heat early in November. Our typical rut around here is around mid to late November. I watched a 6 tending her one evening, and had I been in my stand, I would've shot the big 10 I was after when he was tending her the next morning. I actually ran into her face-to-face in the woods with the 10 trailing behind her that morning. And then another day later I shot a smaller 10 heading towards the front of my property. Later my neighbor had texted me to let me know he saw her up front with the big 10 when he was leaving for work.

Anyway I assumed she had mated early, but either it didn't take or she never did because here she is with her fawns coming into December. So not sure if I missed out on a second rut last year or not. I did have some big bucks on camera around that time frame so makes me wonder.

Gotcha. That I'm not sure about, but I can give some of my personal experience again with this same doe. She's got jet black ears so she's very easy to spot, and I've been watching her for three years now since she was a fawn.

Last year she came in to heat early in November. Our typical rut around here is around mid to late November. I watched a 6 tending her one evening, and had I been in my stand, I would've shot the big 10 I was after when he was tending her the next morning. I actually ran into her face-to-face in the woods with the 10 trailing behind her that morning. And then another day later I shot a smaller 10 heading towards the front of my property. Later my neighbor had texted me to let me know he saw her up front with the big 10 when he was leaving for work.

Anyway I assumed she had mated early, but either it didn't take or she never did because here she is with her fawns coming into December. So not sure if I missed out on a second rut last year or not. I did have some big bucks on camera around that time frame so makes me wonder.
They must be shooting blanks around there

Well there you go. I just pulled my camera, and I have a 7 tending that same doe last night. The poor fella looks like he hasn't eaten in weeks - been busy...

Edited to add I had them on video for about an hour, and she eventually walks off while a smaller 5 comes in and spars with the 7. She's definitely getting close.

If I see a young doe all by herself late in the season, I get excited, and I let her walk.

Certain does come into heat sooner, some later, but a doe that has already been bred won't go into heat again.
Thats what it was tuesday. a young doe, this year it appeared doe with the spike following.

Haha. This is a bow only property. She’s got her sights set on a couple around the house but also gonna go to dads property not far from you on the river Sunday evening. He’s got some pictures that will get you excited for sure. Here’s one. View attachment 2936234

I know it’s tail end of the peak activity but I’m still seeing plenty of signs around. It ain’t over til it’s over!

Yeah, I spoke to him yesterday and he said it’s wide open up there on his place. I think we’ve got a little more time before it’s over. I hope she bags a good one!

Well I can confirm the second rut with my black eared doe. I was hoping the week after the full moon would kick off some pre rut activity with more bucks cruising, but it just didn't happen other than some night time vids.

She came in tonight 15 minutes before the end of legal light, and she kept looking back in the woods. I thought it was for her two fawns who were with her last evening, but all of a sudden she bolts, and I watched a buck trot across about a 15 foot open area so I really couldn't tell his size. On the good side, she's not even being tolerant of him yet. But unfortunately with the new moon coming, I think I might have a day or two at most.

Back
Top Bottom