• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2nd rut

Is there really a 2nd rut? Googletube Don Higgins 4 myths about the rut. Alot of his "theories" make sense. Been watching and listening to quite a few of his video/podcast

There's a hot doe and a susceptible buck from Oct-Jan. There are peak times where the #'s are greater, but it can happen anytime, any place.

There's a hot doe and a susceptible buck from Oct-Jan. There are peak times where the #'s are greater, but it can happen anytime, any place.

Agreed. But after thinking about it, I can't see a doe making it to a 2nd cycle with every buck in mile radius looking for a partner. And I don't mean dancing...
So it makes sense that it's fawns going into heat and not the "2nd rut"

Agreed. But after thinking about it, I can't see a doe making it to a 2nd cycle with every buck in mile radius looking for a partner. And I don't mean dancing...
So it makes sense that it's fawns going into heat and not the "2nd rut"

If I see a young doe all by herself late in the season, I get excited, and I let her walk.

Certain does come into heat sooner, some later, but a doe that has already been bred won't go into heat again.

Is there really a 2nd rut? Googletube Don Higgins 4 myths about the rut. Alot of his "theories" make sense. Been watching and listening to quite a few of his video/podcast

Yep and I experienced a few 36 hour pre rut deer frenzy’s where bucks were chasing like mad then just stopped.
I’ve seen does bellowing for studs while running into the woods just looking for love with nothing stopping them.

We don’t see much of a second rut,but see a lot of falling in love and following a doe everywhere she goes plus bucks are run down and super hungry, so therefore they move a lot the month of December.

Judging by the November rutting activity and the number of fawns we see dropped just before or after the start of bowseason, I’m gonna say that the answer is a definitive yes.

Most definitely. I have a resident doe now that still hasn't dropped her fawns from last year. I see her every day, and I've seen her get chased a couple of times by young bucks, including very early in the season, but she's always back with her fawns the next day. I expect with the full moon coming up and the cold snap next week, she'll go into estrous.

685194BB-0392-4600-94E3-1E31D2D43E16.jpeg
4C87FFA1-7C5A-4066-847E-91E733614D29.jpeg

It’s driving me nuts having daytime pics of these bucks when I’m not out there. This guy is hanging with two does. I hope I caught these pictures at the first part of him meeting up with them. I hope he’s still with them tomorrow.

View attachment 2936215 View attachment 2936216

It’s driving me nuts having daytime pics of these bucks when I’m not out there. This guy is hanging with two does. I hope I caught these pictures at the first part of him meeting up with them. I hope he’s still with them tomorrow.

Good luck buddy, hope you can catch up with him!

Don’t show these pics to your Wife, she might go kill him first!

Back
Top Bottom