• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

3-Ring Binder and Other Hard Copies

Bought mine from Harbour Freight. My dad fell in love with it so I gave it to him and bought another one. It has a section on knots and there uses that is nice. This book fits in your pocket but you may need a magnifying glass to read if you have bad eyes.

Get 864 pages of charts, tables, conversions, constants, facts and figures on everything you'd want to know with this pocket reference guide.

1634821142846.png

1. Repair manuals and maintenance schedule for all vehicles and tools you may have
2. Common medications. Their uses and prescribing information
3. Food preparation: canning etc.
4. Gardening
5. Amateur radio: a list of local repeaters, contacts, and how-to stuff
6. Survival tips related to your region
7. A list of local hardware stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. If things get that bad you can keep track of potential resupply locations.

Bought mine from Harbour Freight. My dad fell in love with it so I gave it to him and bought another one. It has a section on knots and there uses that is nice. This book fits in your pocket but you may need a magnifying glass to read if you have bad eyes.

Get 864 pages of charts, tables, conversions, constants, facts and figures on everything you'd want to know with this pocket reference guide.

View attachment 3607545
I just order this book. It looks like it would be a good reference on a lot of issues. What subjects does it cover that would be needed in a survival scenario?

Thats not really good information. Bleach can cause more harm than good.
A life straw would be the safest bet since most 99.9% of people wouldn't begin to know what to look for (including me with test chemicals)
Look for water that animals are drinking, most won't bathe or potty in their drinking water.

Thats not really good information. Bleach can cause more harm than good.
A life straw would be the safest bet since most 99.9% of people wouldn't begin to know what to look for (including me with test chemicals)
Look for water that animals are drinking, most won't bathe or potty in their drinking water.
IMHO it's a good idea to have multiple ways of making sure one has water that is suitable for drinking.

I think a life straw is one good choice.

I think bleach also has its place.

Anyway, this thread was intended to get ideas about what survival hacks, etc. would be good to have on hard copy just in case.

What do you recommend?

The first Foxfire book.
Maps of areas you plan to travel through.
Topographical maps of areas you plan to stay in.
Maintenance manuals on anything more complicated that a fixed blade knife.
Food prep manuals.
Gardening.
A handbook on engineering math.
The basics of land navigation.

Most of this is for long term stuff. A jump drive and a tablet are good alternatives if you have the ability to recharge the tablet. If you’re concerned about EMPs or CME then build a small faraday enclosure. Be sure to have one for your spare radios and batteries as well.

I honestly don't know where to begin. My "library" is on the large side. To make a huge understatement. Just thinking on how to condense that into bullet points for a single binder gives me a headache. I guess it would depend on how much you already know. Not just theoretically. How much you have done and gone through working out the kinks on. The more you know the less you have to have written down. There are a ton of things I thought I knew really well and then on the first curveball I found out how much of a jackass I really was. Fortunately, I know a bunch of older folks that have lived long enough and done enough to make the mistakes for me if I pull my head out of my butt long enough to listen. They can still walk, albeit slowly, so I don't have to carry them in my backpack or pocket. Still, I'm bullheaded enough to think I know better and make the mistakes they have already learned from as they sit back and smile most times. Older folks with a head full of knowledge are gonna be well worth feeding when the time comes. Just choose wisely. I know some old dudes that know less than I did when I was 20.

IMHO it's a good idea to have multiple ways of making sure one has water that is suitable for drinking.

Anyway, this thread was intended to get ideas about what survival hacks, etc. would be good to have on hard copy just in case.

What do you recommend?
Water is the most important thing we have other than air.. personally, I believe the water tablets would be my backup to the filter straws.

What do you recommend?
Also, read up on the different strengths of all the bleaches. Bags of pool shock if you can break down the quantities or chlorine tablets are better but you need to do some trial runs.
Chlorine can cause more harm than good if you don't know what you are dealing with.
If you happen up on someone's pool or a spring, you can guess at it but ponds and small lakes can be tricky.
Smaller type solar panels for charging flashlights and even the little hand crank type chargers are good for an emergency bag.

Back
Top Bottom