• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.30-06 Reloading - How much would I save?

You can buy m2Ball spec for 59 cents a round. You will spend hundreds of dollars before you get under that per round because of hazmat fees on primers and powder.

I am set up to load for a Garand, but will not until m2 ball is unavailable. I do load Mexican-match loads for hunting rounds, though.

totally agree. I can also load match ammo for that price. but m80 ball is a great source of brass.

I have always enjoyed reloading. I like to load for accuracy first and then savings. But I do like to save because that means more shooting.
The start up cost can be reasonable or you can spend a ton of money. If you start as economically as possible you will not save much if any until you pass 400 - 500 rounds. You should be able to have very accurate reloads in the first 50 .
I load for both garand and bolt action but I still have some surplus and factory because brass doesn't last forever.
Buying large quantity of components at times increases savings too.

If you want to save money pick up your ammo when it is on sale, we have been reloading for over 45+ years, if we counted everything we purchased over the years, and the ammo produced by manufacturers today was produced almost 50 years ago we would not have gotten into it.

It is fun, time consuming, sometimes frustrating, dies, press, brass tumbler, powder, primers, case trimming equipment, shell holders, case length equipment to see how long your cases can be before loading a single cartridge, suggest you find someone close to you, and see what you are l@@king at to invest in your new found hobby quest.

Most of all reloading does not save money as you will always find new tools you could use reloading, also manuals as they are updated you will need to always to buy to keep your library, up to date with the latest info available to you...

Reloading has to be a passion with no regard as to whether or not you are saving money, if you buy reloading thinking you are saving money, don't even start...

Good luck with your decision...

Obscure or obsolete calibers? (7.7 Jap, 6.5 Jap, Swede, etc., 45-70 Gov't, 30-40 Krag) It's economical to roll your own.
Match shooter? You'll get anal about your ammo and want total control over everything, eventually. Roll your own.
Casual shooting or fun matches? Buy milsurp and don't look back.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I think I'll stay away from the reloading game after reading all of your replies and watching a couple of YouTube videos. Doesn't sound like something I'd like to do, as my free time is valuable to me--more valuable to me than the supposed savings I might get from reloading.

Back
Top Bottom