• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.30-06 vs. .308 reloading question

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
No, this isn't another "which is the better caliber?" debate! For the experienced reloaders among us, does one caliber offer any advantages in the reloading process that would lead you to choose to reload for one over the other? The situation: I've been developing .30-06 loads, but just recently traded into a Weatherby Vanguard in .308. Tempted to keep it, but looks to me like I'll be duplicating my efforts to successfully load these similar, but different, calibers. Your thoughts?

About a 15% powder savings in 308 loads, for similar performance with the same bullets. That's the primary reloading advantage of 308. Secondary advantage is that usable 308 surplus brass is somewhat easy to come by. Otherwise, pretty much a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn't sneeze at a 15% powder savings. Works out to 8 .308 shells loaded for every 7 of .30-06. Over a period of time or large volume of shells, that's worth considering. Of course, the analytical part of me is wondering, "How'd they do that?!" Less powder with very similar performance... Seems to defy logic! My only guess is that it has to do with the smaller case volume.

Keep em both if they're good shooters. Hving similar powders and interchangeable bullets on hand is nice. Having too many different calibers like .223,.243,:257,.270,.308 is where your hassle comes in especially if they use diffrent size primers as well.

Last edited:
As for performance in a deer rifle, I wouldn't trade one for the other.

I own both now, and have owned a bunch of both in the past. I prefer short action rifles, just a personal preference.
As for handloading, I can't see any meaningful advantage to either for me. I don't pinch pennies, I handload strictly for better performance, not cost savings.

Quality components are about the same price. The 06' will benefit from a bit slower burning powder, and carry a heavier payload more effectively, but how many of us deer hunt with 180+ grain bullets in the 30's?
:confused:

Same : Same.
One is 11MM longer or shorter than the other. One can use shorter actions. Shorter actions are stiffer and provide better accuracy (that's what 'they' say - haven't seen any proof of it). The longer one has more case volume, for powder thus greater velocities.
The truth. Both are excellent. 06s in general do a little better with heaver bullets and loads. 308s in general do a little better with lightly loaded light bullets. With factory ammo, the differences are insignificant.
I have bolts and auto-loaders in both and load 'for' each weapon. Hot loads are seldom the most accurate and I coddle my weapons.

So if you don't want to duplicate your efforts, you can give me which ever one do don't want. I'll take care of it for you. :evil:

The newly 'traded for' must have had something you liked. Go for it.

Enjoy.

OSOK

Last edited:
I genuinely appreciate the thoughtful replies. Looks like I need to carve more reloading time out of my schedule! Hadn't considered the upside, that the components I've collected for '06 should interchange nicely with .308, even though I'll have to work up again.

Took the .308 to the range this afternoon, used some 168-grain Fed Match to get on paper at 100 yds, only took 5 shots to get dialed in shooting 1" high at 100 yds when I switched to hunting ammo. Can't wait for the weekend! Rut heating up in Floyd Co. where I do most of my hunting, Chattooga won't be far behind.

Last edited:
oddly enough though every range I go to ( especially right before season) is up to your ankles in 30-06 brass. Seems every john doe and his brother ( and cousin, and cousin-in-law) has an 06. Its always locally abundant. Which is not to say .308 isnt, but...

Back
Top Bottom