• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30/30 shootin a lil off....

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
So my buddy got a 30/30 from his ol ladys grandpa and we was sightin it in today and well... its a touch off...
It was shootin about 2 ft high and 2 ft left. we adjusted the sight (iron sight) and still high and still left. this was at 50 yards which should be that guns bread and butter. any thoughts? and if he scopes it what would be a good choice? i was thinking a sight mark. He doesn't want to spend an arm and leg on optics.

You don't say what brand but if it is a Marlin, check out skinner sights. I use them on all of mine. Many marlin collectors have wonderful results with his peep sights without having to 'mess up' the lines of a fine lever gun with a scope.
http://www.skinnersights.com

It needs a taller front sight. Any chance someone broke or filed the original FS. 2 feet high @ 50 is a bunch. Make sure the sights are squared up in the dovetail. Also make sure it has the right elevator under the rear sight. A lot of folks would throw any old sight, sight elevator or any other parts on their rifles around here. Working in and around gunshops, I've seen some more kinds of engineering.

The reason he wants this fix is that he doesn't want to throw optics on it and keep it looking "vintage" and use it for a brush gun. How much would a new front sight and rear elevator go for? And is there any way to adjust the front sight to adjust windage?

Back
Top Bottom