• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30 378 weatherby hunting question

ClaytonBigsby

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
187   0
Reaction score
Have any of you guys deer hunted or have killed any deer with a 30 378 weatherby? If so I would like to see some pics of exit hole. I recently picked up one and I'm loving it. I love big bore calibers anyway just trying to see damage pics before I shot one with mine.

I've shot a few with a 338-378. The hole it leaves is impressive with lighter bullets. I ended up loading some 250 grain Noslers and they aren't quite as explosive. I'm sure a 30-378 is similar so stick with tougher, heavier .30 caliber bullets and you may not vaporize them lol. Needless to say I hunt with much smaller cartridges now!

You brought back some memories sir. I remember reading about this cartridge in John Olson's book of the rifle. I was maybe 7 or 8. Ballistically for those that don't know the 30-378 held the 1000yd accuracy mark for over 30 years. It was the first cartridge to hold the x-ring with a 4 1/4 inch group at 1000 yds (910 meters). Had one briefly in the late 90's. Will push a 165gr @ 3500fps and roughly 4500lb of energy. Basically will do at 400yd what a 308 has at the muzzle. Cost of ammo and the fact that we weren't expecting dinosaur cloning are the reasons I sold it. Wicked round. Hope all is good sir.

I know of a deer shot with one by a friend of mine that turned a flip in the air after being shot and ended up with a wasteful amount of meat destruction.

I got some 155 grain bergers loaded it loves them
Is your 30-378 a Weatherby with the Accubrake? If so you're in for a treat when you shoot at something without hearing protection. Yes it is ear splitting and if anyone tells you that you won't notice the sound when you shoot at a deer, they are full of it lol. The recoil isn't bad, surprisingly.

That round is most appropriate for extreme range hunting on deer sized game. At typical Georgia distances you'll end up with burger by the time it hits the ground.

I got some 155 grain bergers loaded it loves them
Good chance the 155 will not exit I shot 168 gr burgers a couple years from an 300 ultra mag and either it came out like a softball or didn't come out , I went to the 185 gr classic hunter , berger and it always comes out , just shoot em in the ribs cause a shoulder shot will destroy a lot of meat

IMAG0166.jpg
168 gr berger /300 Rum @ 300 yards

Back
Top Bottom