• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30 caliber suppressor newbie questions

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
So I have no suppressor experience or much knowledge other than renting a suppressed glock 17 at my local range, but I'm wanting to but my first can within the next few months. I'm going to get a 30 caliber can mostly used on my hunting rifle, and eventually a 300 blackout pistol when I get the build finished. Here are my questions, I know it's not going to suppress well but how well would .30-06 suppress? Second question is while browsing Quiet Riot Firearms Quiet Riot Firearms website I came across a fairly inexpensive can called a doomsday 7.62 by huntertown arms/silencer inc. All the reviews that I've read are mixed and was wanting to see how it stacked up compared to other cans, another one I was looking at was the
Masterpiece Arms MPA308S 7.62mm . Thanks in advance for any insight from y'all that know your stuff when it comes to suppressors.

Dumb question but since I'll be using it on a .30-06 what rating would I need to look for atleast to a .300 win mag rating?

Hell I just confused myself because 308 has a higher peak SAMMI pressure than 30-06 but 7.62 nato is lower pressure. If you get one rated to 300rum it'll do anything .30cal and 300wm will handle that and below with ease. But if you get something like the ARC30 I would ask Dobbs himself before buying it just to CYA

So I have no suppressor experience or much knowledge other than renting a suppressed glock 17 at my local range, but I'm wanting to but my first can within the next few months. I'm going to get a 30 caliber can mostly used on my hunting rifle, and eventually a 300 blackout pistol when I get the build finished. Here are my questions, I know it's not going to suppress well but how well would .30-06 suppress? Second question is while browsing Quiet Riot Firearms Quiet Riot Firearms website I came across a fairly inexpensive can called a doomsday 7.62 by huntertown arms/silencer inc. All the reviews that I've read are mixed and was wanting to see how it stacked up compared to other cans, another one I was looking at was the
Masterpiece Arms MPA308S 7.62mm . Thanks in advance for any insight from y'all that know your stuff when it comes to suppressors.
1. If you use subsonic 30-06 should suppress just fine and it will defiantly quiet down supersonic but you are going to get your supersonic clap down range.
2. Just my 2 cents but for my part, tax stamp is $200 (non refundable). A cheap can that does not work would at best be throwing away $200 + the wait time. Do your research, read other shooters reviews and make an informed decision/purchase. I bought my SIG762TI-QD and was concerned that I overpaid until the first time I fired subsonic 308 through it, I was pleased. I was even happier when I fired my Barnes TTSX hunting ammo through it. No it is not as quiet as the subs but I did not expect it to be.
3. Lastly, ask a lot of questions, read a lot of reviews and if possible rent or shoot as many as you have access to and make an informed purchase. you will not be sorry.

WELCOME TO THE ADICTION

I echo other's comments, don't cheap out on a can. Its best to save up a little more money, even if it takes a couple more months, and get a solid can. With so many cans available it helps to prioritize your wants/criteria. Price and suppression aside look at mounting options, construction/durability, warranty and customer service, POI, weight, length, and minimum barrel length rating . Not only is this a purchase that you'll be waiting a long time to get, its basically I life purchase.

About the HTA Doomsday. I didnt see it listed on their site but I did come across a post on silencertalk, where I assume our own @ikickhippies linked SilencerInc to HTA over this suppressor. Looks like HTA makes or made the Doomsday cans for SilencerInc. That alone is enough to steer me away from the Doomsday. Also I'm leary of any can that cost as much as the tax stamp.

OP, most 30 cal cans out there will handle a 30-06 just fine. Especially out of a 24"+ barrel. IT will sound great on bolt guns.

For the cans, I would look at the Silencerco Harvester, Dead Air Sandman Ti, even the Rugged Razor in the sub $700 rifle silencer category.

Back
Top Bottom