• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30 caliber suppressor newbie questions

Have you heard a .30 cal fired out of a suppressor?

Just want to make sure your expectations are met.
I haven't personally, only videos which I know don't really show a good representation. I know it's not like the movies haha, I'm expecting it to muffle the sound but not make it to the dB level as a .22. I'm just wanting one primarily to not kill my ears as bad while hunting. I do know when I had a 300 blackout handi rifle I shot subsonic rounds and they weren't too terribly loud.

I haven't personally, only videos which I know don't really show a good representation. I know it's not like the movies haha, I'm expecting it to muffle the sound but not make it to the dB level as a .22. I'm just wanting one primarily to not kill my ears as bad while hunting. I do know when I had a 300 blackout handi rifle I shot subsonic rounds and they weren't too terribly loud.

You can load very quiet ammo for 30 cal rifles, no suppressor needed.

Search for mouse fart loads at castboolits. 30-30, 308, 30-06, etc.

You can load very quiet ammo for 30 cal rifles, no suppressor needed.

Search for mouse fart loads at castboolits. 30-30, 308, 30-06, etc.
I'll have to look into that Thanks! I'm still wanting a suppressor, I bought a t/c compass just for the threaded barrel so I could get a suppressor on a bolt gun. But for the time being until I get one I might find a good recipe and load up some quiet loads.

I'll have to look into that Thanks! I'm still wanting a suppressor, I bought a t/c compass just for the threaded barrel so I could get a suppressor on a bolt gun. But for the time being until I get one I might find a good recipe and load up some quiet loads.

The new coated cast bullets really work great for this.

If I were to guess there are quite a few ODT'ers willing to let you shoot their's...

I only mention for the reasons you referenced. About the only true "Hollywood Quiet" suppressors are for .22's.

Best of luck in your quest and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine (.22, not .30 cal).

I own a Silencerco Omega and its very durable, versatile, and lightweight. I can use the direct thread attachment and mount on my hunting rifle. Switch to an AR-15 with the ASR mount which is like a quick detach device. Full auto rated for 5.56/.223 only I believe. I would 2nd the Dead Air Sandman Ti which has no barrel length requirements, but is only direct thread so you lose versatility compared to the Omega. I would recommend the SilencerCo Hybrid as you can use it as a rifle can or pistol can. But you should check out @Quiet Riot Firearms shoots in Spring/Fall or hang with someone on here to check out a can or 2.

1) GA Gun Store
2) You may want to buy one from your local range so you can enjoy canjugal visits until your stamp arrives, e.g., Ga Gun Club
As for which can - I'm no expert, but I would look at SilencerCo Omega and Thunderbeast Ultra for 30 cal. These are titanium and come with excellent customer service should anything go wrong.
What could go wrong???
I read about Baffle strikes that happen with crappy ammo or incorrectly threaded barrels. If you plan to remove it every outing look for a quick mount and avoid cross threading your barrel.

Back
Top Bottom