• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30 caliber suppressor newbie questions

Surefire cans don't do well on meters and just like the Knights Armament cans they're overpriced. I would stick to SilencerCo, AAC, Dead Air, or Griffin Armament. Im surprised no one recommended the Recce 7 from them.

Yea the surefire cans as well as KACs aren’t the quietest but they are durable and have minimal POI shift.
The recce 7 was recommended a while ago. That’s a great can.

I own both a Harvester 762 and an ARC30 and use them on 308's normally. Different cans with different priorities. I will say that I normally grab the Harvester to go hunting with due to the weight difference. While it is not as quiet, it is easier for me to carry and use in the woods. It is not designed for high volume fast shooting, think hunting and bolt guns. The ARC30 has a much better tone and is quieter. However, it is a beast can and it is built as such. If I was doing it again, I would have gotten an Silencerco Omega (weren't out) instead of the Harvester. Like everyone keeps saying, do your research and spend you money wisely as you will be keeping your suppressor for a long, long time. A few hundred dollars seems like a lot; but in the big picture, it won't matter.
I just built a 7.62x39 AR to hunt with and I will say that the Harvester sounds really good on it as there is not nearly the pressure of a 308. Sounds like a 45acp suppressed to my ear in early testing.

I'm actually not far ahead of you in the process. I purchased my trust a year ago, and didn't actually buy suppressor(s) until about two weeks ago. I have several family members and friends with them, and have shot .223, .300blk super and sub, .22, 9mm all suppressed. My .02 is go check out your local gun shops and watch for deals online. A LOT of online retailers do buy one get one deals or periodic discounts. Silencershop had one the other day. That's what I did. You can spend a little more for a nice .30 can and get a free one with it for the cost of a tax stamp.
If you do decide to go cheap, in my opinion, you should at least ensure .300 win mag and full auto rated.. especially if you're going to ever throw it on an AR platform.

Another point to make: trusts obviously have their advantages, but wait times seem to be in the 4-6 month range for registering as individual and still around 12 months for trusts. Individuals who applied in June are getting their stamps back right now according to nfatracker and Reddit. Good luck sir!

Sambo, any suppressor made for the 308 Winchester should handle factory loads from a 30-06. They’re basically the same cartridge ; one just has a bigger case that could hold a few grams more gunpowder to boost the velocity of the bullet another 150 ft./s.

I’ve shot 308 caliber bolt action rifles with suppressors using full powered ammo (150 grain bullet at 2700 ft./s ).
They sounded like shooting a .22 rifle with cheap high velocity ammo.
Yes, there was a sharp “crack” rather than a dull “poof” but it was nothing like the thunder-clap of shooting such big game rounds unsuppressed.

Sambo, any suppressor made for the 308 Winchester should handle factory loads from a 30-06. They’re basically the same cartridge ; one just has a bigger case that could hold a few grams more gunpowder to boost the velocity of the bullet another 150 ft./s.

I’ve shot 308 caliber bolt action rifles with suppressors using full powered ammo (150 grain bullet at 2700 ft./s ).
They sounded like shooting a .22 rifle with cheap high velocity ammo.
Yes, there was a sharp “crack” rather than a dull “poof” but it was nothing like the thunder-clap of shooting such big game rounds unsuppressed.
aren't the pressures different?

Back
Top Bottom