• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30 caliber suppressor newbie questions

I would but I'm not really a .30 cal guy....yet. I am interested in suppressing my AKMs with a wolverine though (dead air)

You need to shoot the Wolverine before you spend your money. I shot one at a suppressor shoot and it was painful to shoot. Great design and thought process; but actual results were disappointing (several others said the same thing). This comes form someone who regularly shoot a LR308 and has been known to do a mag dump or two with it. AK gas system is not your friend when trying to suppress one. X39 AR is a different story and seems just a little louder than 9mm supers.

You need to shoot the Wolverine before you spend your money. I shot one at a suppressor shoot and it was painful to shoot. Great design and thought process; but actual results were disappointing (several others said the same thing). This comes form someone who regularly shoot a LR308 and has been known to do a mag dump or two with it. AK gas system is not your friend when trying to suppress one. X39 AR is a different story and seems just a little louder than 9mm supers.
Yeah I definitely do and that's one main reason I don't have one sitting on a form 4 right now...waiting for a buddy to take that financial leap. I don't expect much in the realm of suppressing any AK variant for the same reasons you listed, design, but damn does it look clean AF On a SBR Draco

I'm actually not far ahead of you in the process. I purchased my trust a year ago, and didn't actually buy suppressor(s) until about two weeks ago. I have several family members and friends with them, and have shot .223, .300blk super and sub, .22, 9mm all suppressed. My .02 is go check out your local gun shops and watch for deals online. A LOT of online retailers do buy one get one deals or periodic discounts. Silencershop had one the other day. That's what I did. You can spend a little more for a nice .30 can and get a free one with it for the cost of a tax stamp.
If you do decide to go cheap, in my opinion, you should at least ensure .300 win mag and full auto rated.. especially if you're going to ever throw it on an AR platform.

Another point to make: trusts obviously have their advantages, but wait times seem to be in the 4-6 month range for registering as individual and still around 12 months for trusts. Individuals who applied in June are getting their stamps back right now according to nfatracker and Reddit. Good luck sir!

At this point is there really even a legit reason to go the trust route? The whole point of the trust was to not have to do fingerprints and photos everytime but now that you do that anyway why not just do an individual?

At this point is there really even a legit reason to go the trust route? The whole point of the trust was to not have to do fingerprints and photos everytime but now that you do that anyway why not just do an individual?
You can share with family still just gotta submit their pics and prints but if you're a family of gun people it can have its benefits as well though I don't use a trust anymore

Another question is let's say I order something from silencer shop online and have it delivered to my local dealer does it ship after the form 4 is approved or do they ship it and the dealer holds it until then?

Another question is let's say I order something from silencer shop online and have it delivered to my local dealer does it ship after the form 4 is approved or do they ship it and the dealer holds it until then?

They ship it to your dealer on a Form 3. You then go to your local dealer and they handle the Form 4. Thats why its good to buy locally if the price isn't too too high because you save a little bit of a wait, although I think now Form 3 wait times aren't that long. I saw some article saying its only take around 3 days, not sure if thats still valid info though since that article was from August.

They ship it to your dealer on a Form 3. You then go to your local dealer and they handle the Form 4. Thats why its good to buy locally if the price isn't too too high because you save a little bit of a wait, although I think now Form 3 wait times aren't that long. I saw some article saying its only take around 3 days, not sure if thats still valid info though since that article was from August.
thanks, I'm hopefully going to be buying something locally (hopefully my local range so I can have visitation while I wait), was just curious about buying online and how that would work.

thanks, I'm hopefully going to be buying something locally (hopefully my local range so I can have visitation while I wait), was just curious about buying online and how that would work.
Form 3s been coming in everywhere from a week or less up to about a month right now. Beyond that can be considered "slow" imho expect your form 3 to be about a month and your NFA item to be around 8 months and you shouldn't be let down. Once the item is approved it'll be another week- a month for your physical stamp to arrive at your dealer. Once it arrives you show up and fill out a 4473 to receive the item and possession of your stamp. Then it's game time

Form 3s been coming in everywhere from a week or less up to about a month right now. Beyond that can be considered "slow" imho expect your form 3 to be about a month and your NFA item to be around 8 months and you shouldn't be let down. Once the item is approved it'll be another week- a month for your physical stamp to arrive at your dealer. Once it arrives you show up and fill out a 4473 to receive the item and possession of your stamp. Then it's game time

Yep forgot to mention the wait for the stamp to get mailed to the dealer but I never know when that is, I just know when they call me to say come get it.

I wonder if the shorter Form 3 waits are from dealer that are e-filing vs ones that aren't.

Back
Top Bottom