• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 aac blackout subsonic. How loud is it with no supressor?

libertysteeth

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
46   0
Reaction score
Curious as to how loud this round is without a supressor? Would you say it is like a .22 sub or more like a .45 sub. Not really looking to use it without hearing protection. I've got a 10 year old daughter that likes to hunt. Having to wear the bulky muffs to protect her ears causes cheek weld issues. Looking for something I would feel comfortable with her shooting with plugs. Thanks.

I dont think I've ever seen a blk without a can. Sorry man. Is this out of a bolt or gas gun? Gassers will always be louder because of port pop or piston pop. I would run a bolt gun if at all possible

Either bolt or gas. If bolt is quieter. I may build a .300 upper without a gas port. A bolt gun would be nice but an ar suits her. Would be nice to find an inexpensive bolt gun in her size but I haven't seen it yet.

Curious as to how loud this round is without a supressor? Would you say it is like a .22 sub or more like a .45 sub. Not really looking to use it without hearing protection. I've got a 10 year old daughter that likes to hunt. Having to wear the bulky muffs to protect her ears causes cheek weld issues. Looking for something I would feel comfortable with her shooting with plugs. Thanks.

More like a 38 special or 45.

A well-fitting pair of plugs should be enough to reduce the sound pressure to the point where it isn't harmful in limited exposure.

More like a 38 special or 45.

A well-fitting pair of plugs should be enough to reduce the sound pressure to the point where it isn't harmful in limited exposure.
Thanks buddy. Do you know how much barrel length matters. I read that all the powder is burned in just under 8 inches. She likes the ar pistols for hunting. She has no problem keeping her shots within 100 yards. Most will be 50 or less.

Thanks buddy. Do you know how much barrel length matters. I read that all the powder is burned in just under 8 inches. She likes the ar pistols for hunting. She has no problem keeping her shots within 100 yards. Most will be 50 or less.

That's going to depend on the powder, primer and bullet weight. I know of no practical way to measure it. You might get some insight by calling one of the companies that load it, like Hornady. Or one of the powder companies. If you can talk to a ballistician at a powder company, you'd probably get an answer to that one.

Either bolt or gas. If bolt is quieter. I may build a .300 upper without a gas port. A bolt gun would be nice but an ar suits her. Would be nice to find an inexpensive bolt gun in her size but I haven't seen it yet.

Check out the Ruger American Ranch. They are about $400 and the newer model accepts AR mags.

It's still loud even with subs. Way louder than a 22lr sub or super. Like rbstern rbstern said, it's similar to a regular .45.

Barrel length depends on application. The gas will burn up in 8" barrel length (which why it is such a great gun to SBR). Of course that will reduce your velocity even more. Shooting it suppressed and subsonic, is fantastic, like little kid giggly fun, no hearing protection needed, at all.

All of that being said, she needs to be a really good shot if shooting deer with a 300BLK subsonic round. A 30 caliber bullet traveling at speeds of 1000fps or less isnt going to expand very much, will have a tougher time punching thru vone and dense muscle. Plus the bullet will drop like a rock over 50 yard zero. I would definitely limit shots to under 100 yards.... But that's just me.

Wilk sound like a 357 mag out of a carbine if no silencer. Might as well use supers if hunting with no can. Use ear plugs either way.

Back
Top Bottom