• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 aac blackout subsonic. How loud is it with no supressor?

Thanks for all the information. She currently runs plugs and muffs with supersonic rifle. I don't want her to hear a permanent buzz like I do(non-firearm related injury). I see the disadvantage of 300 sub ammo but hope it would be outweighed by safer sound levels. I always worry she might not realize her plugs are sealed well. If that were to happen I would hope it would result in non permanent discomfort. She likes my ar pistol w 10.5 barrel. It's not too bad at all with plugs if sealed well. If not sealed well you know it. That's why I make her wear the muffs. I would like to build her an upper or whole rifle of her own so she can set it up to fit her. I don't want to add a new cartridge to the collection but if it will potentially save her hearing I will. I guess it's not that expensive to try out. Just wanted some real world feedback before I waste the time.

I never said anything about barrel length but that doesn't matter. Longer barrels equals quieter report because more powder is burned before the bullet exits the barrel. Longer barrels also make the percieved sound quieter because it is further from your ear
..but not by much.

I'm not going off something I have read on the internet. I'm going off real world experience. 300 BLK subsonic is the quietest round I have ever fired unsupressed.

.22 LR standard velocity (match grade) is the only subsonic cartridge I have fired, and stood by watching others shoot, from both long and short barrels, no silencers, with barrels ranging from 16" to 26".
Although I am told all the gunpowder is used up in 12" of barrel, a shot gets a lot quieter with 10 extra inches on it.

I can replicate this with a 16" barrel and a 22" barrel on the same model gun: Ruger 10/22's. I've got two of them.

To see if having my face 6" closer or farther in relation to the muzzle really matters, I will test fire them both from the hip, but the longer-barreled one held more to the rear, so the distance from my face to the muzzle is the same for each gun.

Or maybe I'll download a noise meter like Decibel X on my smartphone and measure both guns from the same distances -- maybe 4 feet behind muzzle, 10 feet to side of muzzle, and 50 feet at 45 degree angle forward of muzzle.

.22 LR standard velocity (match grade) is the only subsonic cartridge I have fired, and stood by watching others shoot, from both long and short barrels, no silencers, with barrels ranging from 16" to 26".
Although I am told all the gunpowder is used up in 12" of barrel, a shot gets a lot quieter with 10 extra inches on it.

I can replicate this with a 16" barrel and a 22" barrel on the same model gun: Ruger 10/22's. I've got two of them.

To see if having my face 6" closer or farther in relation to the muzzle really matters, I will test fire them both from the hip, but the longer-barreled one held more to the rear, so the distance from my face to the muzzle is the same for each gun.

Or maybe I'll download a noise meter like Decibel X on my smartphone and measure both guns from the same distances -- maybe 4 feet behind muzzle, 10 feet to side of muzzle, and 50 feet at 45 degree angle forward of muzzle.

Maybe you could use one 16” 5.56 and move the gadget around. Like 12” 16” 20” 24” 28” and 32” back from muzzle

Smart phone DB aps aren't able to measure gunfire db.

Lots of bad information in here.

300 BLK subsonic is very quite because all the gasses have burned before the bullet exits the muzzle.

I was demoing a can on subsonic 300 BLK and took the can off to show how much louder it was and to show how effective the can was. I was slightly embarrassed when unsuppressed it wasn't a whole lot louder than suppressed.

I would compare it to 22 LR out of a 16" barrel.

MUCH quieter than any handgun!

That's not my experience. Also, there are a lot of different powders, each with their own burn/pressure curves for a given load and barrel. Two different loads of 300BLK out of the same barrel, even if they exit at the same subsonic velocity, may sound quite different, depending on the powder used.

And I've never seen your gun so...

0EEBA08C-2CF3-4207-B000-20792187FC24.jpeg

Here ya go.

Get the .300 BLK and a good quality can and run supersonic ammo (Barnes TAC TX) It will be hearing safe. Subsonic 300 BLK on medium size game is absolutely silly for anyone that is less than very experienced in anotomy, ballistics and marksmanship.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Well put Sir!

Get the .300 BLK and a good quality can and run supersonic ammo (Barnes TAC TX) It will be hearing safe. Subsonic 300 BLK on medium size game is absolutely silly for anyone that is less than very experienced in anotomy, ballistics and marksmanship.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yeah. Not going the supressor route. Probably just going to look for another option altogether unless something comes up or I have chance to try it out first. I do appreciate all the input. The season is almost over. Probably just build her a 6.5 upper like the one I use but lighter.

Back
Top Bottom