• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 Blackout - 150 Grain load

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Looking for your thoughts on this.

I've read through most everything I could find on 150 grain loads and have finally put together some rounds to test out this weekend.

I've got some 125 Grain Sierra Pro-Hunters on the way but had some free time so tried this:

300 Blackout - 150 Grain.jpg

These are 150 grain Hornady SP (usually loaded into my 30-30 reloads) on top of 16.0 grains H110. Loaded a few 16.5 grains H110 as the range is a bit far. Plan to try the 16.5 grain H110 loads if the 16.0 grain loads seem to work okay with no flat primers, etc...

Rounds are loaded to an overall length of about 2.05.

From all I read these should work fine, but was wondering if any fellow ODT'ers had some thoughts or direct experience with 150 grain projectiles in their 300 blackouts.

Other forums indicated I could expect speeds of around 1950 FPS.

I've used the M80, FMJ type bullets but not the round noses. Have you loaded them in a magazine? You may have to work on the seating length for good feeding.

I loaded five of them in a steel magazine and hand cycled them through the rifle. Seemed to work okay, but things don't always work the same when actually being fired... We'll see.

I've got some M80's also. Will try those too. What kind of velocity and accuracy were you getting with them? Were you running H110? I've been told Lil' gun works a little better, but don't have any right now.

Thanks.

I'm up in the higher 17gr amounts of H110 for my 147/150gr stuff on the M80 projectiles. Everything from about 16.5 to high 17s cycled fine with no pressure signs in my AAC 8" upper, but the 17+ grains needs to be approached carefully. Mine does seem to like the higher pressure stuff than other Blackouts.

Accuracy was about the same as any ball load, 2-3 MOA on average.

I just loaded some rounds with 16 gr, 13 gr and 11 gr of 4198 pushing a 122 gr steel core fmj. I also loaded the same bullet with 13 gr and 11 gr of power pistol. Will see how they do soon. plan on loading some 200 gr subsonic as well. but need to wait for the mold to come in the mail.

Well, like an idiot I've misplaced the head unit to my Chrony.... so can't really test out my loads until I find it. :mad:

In the mean time, I went ahead and loaded some M80 projectiles over 16.8 grains of H110.

300 Blackout - M80 Loads.jpg

The unloaded round next to the cartridges is a 125 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter. They arrived today. Will load some of them up as well.

I'll get the velocity results up for all this stuff once I locate the other half of my chronograph...

Forgot to mention I'm using a 16 inch barrel.

I'm up in the higher 17gr amounts of H110 for my 147/150gr stuff on the M80 projectiles. Everything from about 16.5 to high 17s cycled fine with no pressure signs in my AAC 8" upper, but the 17+ grains needs to be approached carefully. Mine does seem to like the higher pressure stuff than other Blackouts.

Accuracy was about the same as any ball load, 2-3 MOA on average.

What was the overall length? There is very little data out there for 150gr in 300 BO. I would really like to work up a decent load for deer and hogs.

Back
Top Bottom