• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 blackout 220 subs - looking for your most accurate load.

adrianrog

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
I'd like to head shoot a doe with a subsonic 220 grain match King this year. Does anyone have a load that regularly gives them say 1.25 inches or better at 100? I currently have Aa1680, IMR 4227, H110, Trailboss that might be suitable. Wouldn't have a problem buying something else either. The rifle is a 10 5" AR with suppressor. It would be nice to have one load that would also work in my Ruger American Ranch.

I don’t wanna be “that guy” but I’ve lost 2 deer with subsonic 300 blk Using a 200gr Maker bullet that is designed to expand at subsonic velocities. Both were shot under 50 yards. You just don’t get adequate penetration.
Super sonic 300blk is a different story. I bet I’ve killed 12 deer with a 110gr Barnes tac-tx. They are very lethal.

Oops. I missed the part where you said head shot. My bad. Carry on.

I'd like to head shoot a doe with a subsonic 220 grain match King this year. Does anyone have a load that regularly gives them say 1.25 inches or better at 100? I currently have Aa1680, IMR 4227, H110, Trailboss that might be suitable. Wouldn't have a problem buying something else either. The rifle is a 10 5" AR with suppressor. It would be nice to have one load that would also work in my Ruger American Ranch.

Your barrel is going to be a very important part of this recipe you are wanting to cook up. It is very important that you have a 1 in 7 twist rate, or even a 1 in 6 twist rate as bullets that heavy will likely keyhole and not fly very true with a slower twist barrel. I have had pretty good accuracy using the Sierra 220gr Round nose bullets. Usually under an inch at 50 yards. I sight my rifle at 50 when using subs that heavy because there is such a significant difference in 50 and 100 yards in terms of bullet drop. You have to also remember that generally, the suppressor will decrease your accuracy somewhat. Each rifle is different so the load that works best in my rifle, may shoot like crap in your rifle. Given all the variables with 300BO and what you are wanting to do, you really need to work up and test your own loads because using someone else's recipe may or may not perform satisfactorily in your rifle. I have a different experience with the maker bullets as one mentioned. For subsonic hunting, I use the Maker Rex-Sub 200gr. expanding bullet. It has been devastating on the last two bucks I have taken and I am very pleased with its performance.

Back
Top Bottom