• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.300 BO Host

mbeard45

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
looking for input and opinions....

I’m in the market for a semi-cheap (not necessarily the bottom of the barrel but deffinately not super high end....) factory built .300 blackout to use as a host for my sandman S. Any thoughts on length, twist rates, etc... is there a huge difference in 1/7 vs 1/8 twist with .300BO?? I’ll mostly be shooting subs if that matters....

Any variations that I need to watch out for?? Both good and bad??

Purpose of gun will be mainly hog killing but might pop a doe or two here and there if I happen to drive by a random field with a booner out there..... I mean, wait.... never mind... just hogs.... and plinking with the boys after a few beers... wait... not beers....

Approciate any feedback and/or real world reviews....

And yes.... just joking about shooting deer from the road and shooting while drunk...

Are you building a pistol or a rifle?

Ideally, the 300aac would be fired from a 1:8 9" barrel. That's the AAC spec.

Anything longer than that will just build velocity, which kinda defeats the purpose of shooting subs.

Just get a quality barrel and BCG and you'll be fine. You don't specifically need a "factory" build.

But if you want a factory... I'd probably look at someone like Aero Precision if you're looking for a mid level product.

If you're willing to build your own.. I'd get a barrel from ballistic advantage or Faxon.

Ruger American Ranch 300 BO,16.1 inch Barrel.

A bolt gun is the quiet king with a supressor. A 16 inch barrel will be as sort as you can go without doing a sbr.
The Ruger is not exensive and will work fine.

Are you looking for a factory complete gun - or just upper? I don't have extensive personal experience - only shot radical firearms uppers with I think a PSA or something BCG. I have a 10.5" that is fairly heavy carrying around the woods since its an HBAR. My buddy got the 8.5" and it balances a lot better (with suppressors). Both uppers have a couple hundred rounds with no issues - not really stress tested at all.

Based on internet research alone - I'm looking at getting a 9" Faxon gunner profile. I'm going for lightweight and shorter - but still enough barrel to get hunting supers out at a decent velocity. If I was only shooting subs I may go with 7.5".

Not the best hunting platform.
Agreed not 'best' - I much prefer a nice stock - but there are some decent braces out these days. Personally for a hog hunting situation I would prefer a shorter semi over the longer bolt gun even if it gives up some stock comfort. Better yet - SBR all day long.

Agreed not 'best' - I much prefer a nice stock - but there are some decent braces out these days. Personally for a hog hunting situation I would prefer a shorter semi over the longer bolt gun even if it gives up some stock comfort. Better yet - SBR all day long.
The SBA3 reallt blurs the line. Great "cheek" weld on that one.

Back
Top Bottom