• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 Ultra Magnum destruction!!!

Lose half the meat... How do you figure? Who eats rib meat? One back strap had a little damage thats it. The rest of the meat was fine.

Bullcrap I own and have shot deer in the past with a .300RUM. (before I knew better) I have been warning people with magnumitis against doing so for years, Those shoulders neck and a good portion of backstraps are nothing but bloodshocked purple jelly under that hide. Heck I shot one in the chest facing me the bullet travelled the length of the body and and only got one ham from the whole deer. More damage than the broadside shot even though there was about a 1" hole in the chest and no exit. Got ready to dress the deer made 1 small cut and purple gush filled the gut bucket. I was left with a nearly empty skin hanging from the gambrels.
Been there done that got the t shirt and remember the lesson well.
It aint the bore diameter it's the velocity. The .300RUM is a necked down .404 Jeffry
Again I do appreciate you posting the pics so others won't make the mistake.

Last edited:
This brings to mind the guy that has the AR for sale on here, in the .50 Beowoulf ......says in the ad "perfect for hunting in Georgia" or something to this nature....just think what that would do to one ! Definitely overcompensation.
You realize that 50 Beowulf is not a 50BMG right? In fact, the case is so small I imagine it has less power than a 308.

You realize that 50 Beowulf is not a 50BMG right? In fact, the case is so small I imagine it has less power than a 308.
Nope , didn't realize that....something I'm not familiar with, my mistake. I wouldn't think you needed anything in a .50 for any deer , period. I've never needed anything more than 30-30.

Nope , didn't realize that....something I'm not familiar with, my mistake. I wouldn't think you needed anything in a .50 for any deer , period. I've never needed anything more than 30-30.
Its an attempt to make the AR platform more effective. It is limited by the size of its mag well. It is .50 in diameter, but only as long as a 223 case. Short and fat. Can't make a 223 any longer, so instead they make the bullet bigger.

Its an attempt to make the AR platform more effective. It is limited by the size of its mag well. It is .50 in diameter, but only as long as a 223 case. Short and fat. Can't make a 223 any longer, so instead they make the bullet bigger.
larger bullet diameter, more weight, more than likely equals more pressure on impact I'm sure. I don't have specific loading data for these particular rounds in question, but I believe my previous statement of overcompensation is somewhat accurate? If not...sue me ! Lol :)

larger bullet diameter, more weight, more than likely equals more pressure on impact I'm sure. I don't have specific loading data for these particular rounds in question, but I believe my previous statement of overcompensation is somewhat accurate? If not...sue me ! Lol :)
Probably pretty close to 45/70 ballistics. A .270, .308 or 30/06 will do much more damage to meat than a 45/70 class of bullet. Big slow bullets don't turn surrounding meat into jelly like a small fast bullet. .

A 12 gauge is roughly .70 diameter and most slugs are roughly equivilent to 450gr. big bores are very effective stoppers but don't inflict the same type of damage or produce the same type of Hydrastatic shock wave as a much higher velocity rifle bullet.
Apples to Oranges

Back
Top Bottom