• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300blk load help

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
so i have a final case length of 1.360 total overall length of 2.190 I loaded 5 rounds at 8 grns of lil gun the five at 8.5grns, five at 9grns, 9.5, then 10 grns for testing at the range to see what gave me the best group and I had a terrible day..... 8 and 8.5 gave me about a five inch group at 50 yards then the last round of the five with 9 grns jammed up for some reason about half an inch out of battery after about an 8 inch group with the first four with 9 grns. I couldn't clear the jam at the range so I came home and I'm so mad I didn't even mess with trying to get the jam out yet.... any suggestions?

Are you converting brass, using converted brass or blackout brass?
Were they full length sized? Check with a case gauge?
What does the brass that was fired look like?
Specs on the gun? Barrel length, pistol or carbine gas? Barrel brand?

Too many unknowns to be able to do anything other than just take a shot in the dark.

Take the gun down and clean the chamber. Load a dummy round without powder and primer. Check the verify that the round drops into the chamber without forcing. If it does, there may be a feeding issue. A case gauge would be a great way to verify that you are loading ammo dimensionally correct. I like Lyman gauges.

Are you converting brass, using converted brass or blackout brass?
Were they full length sized? Check with a case gauge?
What does the brass that was fired look like?
Specs on the gun? Barrel length, pistol or carbine gas? Barrel brand?

Too many unknowns to be able to do anything other than just take a shot in the dark.
Converting brass, 1.360 sized, no case gauge, spent cases look good, 8 inch barrel with carbine gas made by palmetto

Take the gun down and clean the chamber. Load a dummy round without powder and primer. Check the verify that the round drops into the chamber without forcing. If it does, there may be a feeding issue. A case gauge would be a great way to verify that you are loading ammo dimensionally correct. I like Lyman gauges.
Aside from the one logged round what would cause the accuracy to be so far off?

I use a decaping and full length resizing die. Before I load anything I always use a case gauge after the full length resizing die. My last step before I put them in a box is to drop them in a case gauge again. It's not often, but occasionally I find one that is out of spec and it would of jammed my gun. Get a case gauge to avoid any jams. It's a pain to drop it through the case gauge twice, but I have zero jamming issues.

Back
Top Bottom