• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300blk neck mouth flaring?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
I don't know where it's starting to flare the neck but I didn't catch it. All the cases fit in my gauge but when I finish seating the bullet, the flare mouth is preventing it from going in the gauge. So what now? I tried to crimp it but it seems like the flare prevents it and the case just gets crushed causing the shoulder to bell out. Any quick solution since I primed all of it before hand. Lol how I have bunch of flared mouth primed cases.

Can you run them through a neck sizer die, without decapper pin of course? Or reshape the neck by hand with some kind of steel rod in the neck opening?

Last edited:
Can you run them through a neck sizer die, without decapper pin of course? Or reshape the neck by hand with some kind of steel rod in the neck opening?

It's flaring out like a mushroom. I've noticed some have more flare than others because I've loaded some and it barely sticks out of my gauge by .002" on the max level spec. I'm thinking the mouth flare is causing it not to fit in my skitter gauge as it expands even more when the bullet seat in the brass. Would I beable to trim it shorter to remove the flare? Right now the shortest is 1.353". Saami minimum length is 1.348".

Depends on how deep the flare is. Might try anealing the cases prior to working the brass on future loadings. Tough to say without seeing a pic but it could be the mouth is too soft and causing the flare?

Depends on how deep the flare is. Might try anealing the cases prior to working the brass on future loadings. Tough to say without seeing a pic but it could be the mouth is too soft and causing the flare?

I measured the neck and it was within spec but it won't go into the skitter guage all the way so I'm assuming the flared mouth expanded when bullet is seated. Causing the diameter of the mouth to be out of spec. Thr rounds barely fit flush with the max recommendation. If I let the BCG slam home, it would probably go into battery but I don't want that. I want to beable to chamber it without slamming and shoving the round into the chamber. i guess I can trim a little and see if it gets rid of the flare. I can post pictures tonight!

I never flare rifle cartridges. You can't crimp bullets without a cannelure with regular dies. Do you reload, or is all this new to you? If you are unsure, you need to get with an experienced reloader before you have a problem.

I never flare rifle cartridges. You can't crimp bullets without a cannelure with regular dies. Do you reload, or is all this new to you? If you are unsure, you need to get with an experienced reloader before you have a problem.

I am getting into reloading. Yes I am new. I been talking with a Odt Reloader, even tho he's a huge help, I can't catch all of it. I had a wilson guage that I used as a guide for trimming and forming cases. I don't know where the flare mouth came from but I think it's during the sizing/forming process. I thought it was normal because it allows the bullet to sit in so you can guide it up but I have found it to be a problem because it wider than it should and I can't crimp it, all it does is crush the case and bell the shoulder.

My iPhone 6 hasn't remembered my words yet! Hahaha I meant to type slotted.

Ah, gotcha...it doesn't help now but for future reference, I wouldn't bell necked rifle casings. Really isn't much need to unless you're shooting big, straight walled calibers with lead bullets.

Back
Top Bottom