• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300blk neck mouth flaring?

Didn't you say that you were using the Hornady dies? I use the same ones, and don't have that issue. Could you have a defective sizing die?

Yes sir I am. One thing I didn't do is deburr and chamfer. But my habor freight saw 2" made a pretty clean cut that I thought I wouldn't need to. I lubed it up and it sized fine. Could it be that I cut the brass too long? I don't have anymore brass but I will pull one of my reload and form another case and see where it's flaring the mouth. I had thought it did that on purpose to allow the bullet base to seat.

Yes sir I am. One thing I didn't do is deburr and chamfer. But my habor freight saw 2" made a pretty clean cut that I thought I wouldn't need to. I lubed it up and it sized fine. Could it be that I cut the brass too long? I don't have anymore brass but I will pull one of my reload and form another case and see where it's flaring the mouth. I had thought it did that on purpose to allow the bullet base to seat.
You chopped them off with a cheapo chop saw and didn't be burr or chamfer them? I'm sure that's a part of the problem.

You chopped them off with a cheapo chop saw and didn't be burr or chamfer them? I'm sure that's a part of the problem.

I checked it prior to sizing and they were clean. I wouldn't have sized it if there were burrs or else it would mess up the die. I'll have to pull a couple of my 223 cases and prep it like I did and prep it again with a deburr and chamfer to see if there's a difference. No doubt it was a cheap saw but very nice I thought! I had the 300blk jig and it cut thru like butter. I'll have to take pictures of the cut. I honestly thought it was clean!

After watching some YouTube video. Everyone removed the decapping needle... I'm thinking when I cut the brass and sized it, the brass was too long and hit the decapping rod and causing it to flare.... I did not remove my decapping stem.

After watching some YouTube video. Everyone removed the decapping needle... I'm thinking when I cut the brass and sized it, the brass was too long and hit the decapping rod and causing it to flare.... I did not remove my decapping stem.

When you ran the unprocessed .223 through the .300blk die you didn't remove the decapping pin on the .300blk die?

When you ran the unprocessed .223 through the .300blk die you didn't remove the decapping pin on the .300blk die?

No sir. Was I suppose to? I thought it was just a straight rod. Now that I looked at the parts, it's not a straight rod lol. I just retracted it all the way up into the die so it doesn't decap.

No sir. Was I suppose to? I thought it was just a straight rod. Now that I looked at the parts, it's not a straight rod lol. I just retracted it all the way up into the die so it doesn't decap.

There's your problem. :thumb:

I'd try to put them in. 308 head sizing die and removing that decapping pin and see if that works.

I will tumble, deprime, then swage the casings. Then I will cut the case with the HF saw, right below the shoulder. Debur and chamfer any questionable pieces (not all) then size them. Trim with the little crow trimmer, then debur and chamfer all pieces. Re-tumble then ready to load.

Trim length is 1.355 +/- .002.

Back
Top Bottom