• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300blk neck mouth flaring?

There's your problem. :thumb:

I'd try to put them in. 308 head sizing die and removing that decapping pin and see if that works.
I will do that!

I will tumble, deprime, then swage the casings. Then I will cut the case with the HF saw, right below the shoulder. Debur and chamfer any questionable pieces (not all) then size them. Trim with the little crow trimmer, then debur and chamfer all pieces. Re-tumble then ready to load.

Trim length is 1.355 +/- .002.
Yeah I have mine around there. Actaully mine is 1.353" +/- .002

I think you should buy some factory brass. Get the hang of reloading that. Then move on to making your own.

Well that defeats the purpose of saving money. Reason why I got the 300blk caliber. Before I refused to becasue I can't afford to shoot it. Now that I reload, I'm loading about .28rd.

My guess you have a case overall length issue. I chop the case , trim, size and trim again. Final case prep is annealing them. Besides case length problems I'd think your die isnt adjusted properly.

OBTW I forgot a step. I turn my necks since forming the 223 case to a 300 produce's a thicker neck wall. I use mostly Lake City brass. How did I find this out. My newly loaded round would not feed into the chamber. None of my 300 AR platforms fed. However, they would work fine in my bolt and single shot rifles.

Last edited:
A closer look. It seems like the flare isn't preventing the fit. I'm thinking its the shoulder..... Its out of spec? Could a die size wrong? After deburring and Chamfering, it jumped in a tad more but only split hair! Its still a little bit above the max level! I'm thinking its the shoulder being out of spec...

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 12
Shoulder isn't low enough. Take the decapping pin out, turn you resizing die down a 1/8 turn and then check it. If it doesn't fit, turn it another 1/8 until it does.

My guess you have a case overall length issue. I chop the case , trim, size and trim again. Final case prep is annealing them. Besides case length problems I'd think your die isnt adjusted properly.

OBTW I forgot a step. I turn my necks since forming the 223 case to a 300 produce's a thicker neck wall. I use mostly Lake City brass. How did I find this out. My newly loaded round would not feed into the chamber. None of my 300 AR platforms fed. However, they would work fine in my bolt and single shot rifles.

I have a bunch of different brasses but most of them LC. I'm out of spec by .001"! Literally! I can't figure out whats wrong. I took the decapping rod out and resized one of the case. Still same result.

Shoulder isn't low enough. Take the decapping pin out, turn you resizing die down a 1/8 turn and then check it. If it doesn't fit, turn it another 1/8 until it does.

Oh ****! I set it as the manual says. "Screw in till it touches the shell plate, lock in place!"

You know whats crazy? Sometimes when I seat a bullet, it won't fit in the gauge half way! LOL. Its like the bullet makes the case widen and can't fit. I'll try that NOW!

Back
Top Bottom