• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 advice please

Several people have recommended the Berger VLD. It is a great bullet and is devastating on game........when it works correctly.
If the game is too light, the bullet is too heavy or the velocity is to low, they don't disrupt at all. You might as well be shooting FMJ. In a 308 Win on Georgia deer I would not use a Berger heavier than the 155 grain Hunting VLD. Even then I would not want to take a shot passed 300 yards because of lost velocity.
My choice would be the Barnes TTSX in any weight from the 130 to 168 grain. Any of them work very well on deer sized game. Their terminal ballistics are very different from a Berger. They are a deep perpetrator, but reliably open quickly. If you are looking to do some extreme range hunting, 500 yards plus, on bean fields or power lines, take a look at the Barnes 175 grain LRX. It is a variant of the TTSX that is designed to have a higher ballistic coefficient and open reliably at the lower velocities at long ranges.

Several people have recommended the Berger VLD. It is a great bullet and is devastating on game........when it works correctly.
If the game is too light, the bullet is too heavy or the velocity is to low, they don't disrupt at all. You might as well be shooting FMJ. In a 308 Win on Georgia deer I would not use a Berger heavier than the 155 grain Hunting VLD. Even then I would not want to take a shot passed 300 yards because of lost velocity.
My choice would be the Barnes TTSX in any weight from the 130 to 168 grain. Any of them work very well on deer sized game. Their terminal ballistics are very different from a Berger. They are a deep perpetrator, but reliably open quickly. If you are looking to do some extreme range hunting, 500 yards plus, on bean fields or power lines, take a look at the Barnes 175 grain LRX. It is a variant of the TTSX that is designed to have a higher ballistic coefficient and open reliably at the lower velocities at long ranges.
Im not confident enough in my shooting to take a shot farther than 225-250 and chance wounding a deer. would there be a big difference other than velocity between the 130gr and 165gr?

I like the Barnes TTSX as well. That is a shoo in for me. I have seen several failures with Remington Core Locts. Most of those were total separation of core and jacket, resulting in deer going a long way wounded and a couple never being found.

I've been shooting the Sierra GameKing 165gr SBT in 30-06 for 30+ years.
Very good bullet IMHO. Accurate, great performance on game, and relatively inexpensive.

Barnes TTSX Shooting these in a couple different calibers and have nothing but praise for them so far, well except the price tag on them but that doesn't matter that much to me in a hunting round.

Back
Top Bottom