• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 bolt gun optic recommendations?

I would go with a Nikon M-308. They are a reasonably priced optic with top tier performance without the top tier price. I have used several of them and really I can't see the difference in clarity between the Nikon and Trijicon or Vortex. You can never go wrong with a Nikon. They cost around 500 bucks and can be had for less if you shop around. A fine optic with pin point accuracy that will hold it's zero forever. I wouldn't spend a dime more for anything that won't be any clearer or more accurate. You won't get a better scope unless you go with a Schmidt and Bender or something in that price range 1000 to 2500 bucks. I think they are a 4-12x42or a 4-16x42 plenty or magnification to get pinpoint accuracy out to 200 plus yards. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
I just read up on it. I like it already. .308 BDC reticle is sweet, though I wouldn't be able to throw this on any of my other rifles...it will be a good excuse to keep a .308 in the safe. Maybe an AR-10 is next on the project list.

I had one on my 24 inch barrel AR10 before I sold it. I wish I never let the scope go with it. I have a Bushnell AR optic 308 on my AR10 and strangely enough it's a great scope. It weighs a ton but a damn good scope. Hold it's zero and shoots click for click on turret moves. I am looking at a CZ 550 manlicher stock 308 and I am definitely going with a Nikon on that rifle. The M-308 scope is just hard to beat. I even had guys at the range look through the Nikon and said they wouldn't have bought their high dollar scopes if they had looked through the Nikon first. I mean light transmission and clarity is top notch.

I just read up on it. I like it already. .308 BDC reticle is sweet, though I wouldn't be able to throw this on any of my other rifles...it will be a good excuse to keep a .308 in the safe. Maybe an AR-10 is next on the project list.

The chances of the BDC reticle actually lining up with your dope are pretty slim. Too many variables to account for. If they actually worked as well as the manufacturer's would like, every Sniper in the world would use them.

Get a good reticle in MOA or MRAD. Shoot your dope, learn your dope, then use your reticle for ACCURATE hold-offs.

For your budget go with a Vortex, or the New Athalons. I looked at them at Shot show specifically for this budget range.

Very curious about the Athalons. Heard good things, handled them, but not on a rifle. I don't have the time to do as many T&E's as I used to, so I'm waiting for them to show up in students' hands in my classes.

I had heard a bunch about them before the show but wanted to get hands on one before I bought one. After running run thru some indoor testing (10 mils up, down, and 5 right and left holding on a small target) they seem like they would be a great intro scope. Yes they will get flack until they get established (just like Vortex did) I think they will take off.

IMG_4784.PNG

Tasco 4X, 15mm tube.
It's light weight!

And only costs about $7. at Wally Mart.

The chances of the BDC reticle actually lining up with your dope are pretty slim. Too many variables to account for. If they actually worked as well as the manufacturer's would like, every Sniper in the world would use them.

Get a good reticle in MOA or MRAD. Shoot your dope, learn your dope, then use your reticle for ACCURATE hold-offs.
Sound advice. Never thought about the caliber specific scopes not matching up to my ammo or barrel length. Much appreciated! Guess I will go with MOA, as I'm not familiar at all with mils.

Back
Top Bottom