• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 gas gun, 175 SMK, load suggestions?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
should have a new 308 AR in another few days (it was ready early!!) and wondering what would be a good place to start with regards to loading for it. 16" barrel, good quality 1:10 twist barrel.

I've got a 150 or so 175gr SMK bullets, some decent brass (not LC) and a few powders for the 308 but in the past all of my loading was for a bolt action rifle. I don't mind buying any specific powder if it'll work better in a semi auto shorter barrel.

once i get it I can check the chamber with my hornady LnL overall length chamber thing to see where the bullet hits the lands, but looking to see if anyone has any suggestions for setup, powder, how far to set back from the lands, etc...

rifle powders I have on hand (didn't bother to look to see which might be best for now, thought I'd just ask the peanut gallery): Varget, Reloader 10x, 22 and some very old 7, RamShot Tac and X-term, IMR 3031 and 4895, Hodgden H335, H4381 and 4227.

I have a few boxes of Speer 165 gr spitzers for my bolt 308, half loaded with 4895 the other half with 3031.

any brass that is recommended for gas guns? ideally this will be a bit more of a precision rifle class rifle than a battle blaster, so looking for a bit better accuracy and precision than just throwing 30 rounds at a time down range. I'll probably get some of the new MagPul mags that allow the LR M118 ammo..

LC brass is fine. Semi autos are rough on brass any way so expensive brass like Lapua would be a waste. SMK's shoot fine jumping so I would just load to spec and roll with it. Works just fine for FGMM. Out of the powders you listed varget should be your best bet. With the heavier bullets and a short barrel 2000-mr would also be a good choice and would get you more velocity than varget. I have some of it for sale or trade if you get to a point you wanna try it out.

Black hills, or 168 grain OTM ammo. The army has perfected the 168 grain 7.62 load in bolt actions. Literally plug and play, dope the scope.

I shoot 150-155 gr. HP and BTHP with round 43 grains of RL-15, set OAL to Hornady spec, works just fine in my Sig 716, PA-10, and Aero Precision build.

MR 2000, varget, imr4064 or 4166. Those are the go to powders for the 175 class. Just Google 175 federal gold clone. It's LC brass with fed 210m, IMR 4064 and 175 smk

any preferences for brass?

I'll order some LC to keep it consistent. I've got a bunch of Remington (RP) brass currently that I use in my M77s.

will probably load up a bunch of "range ammo" with 147/150gr bullets and then the target ammo with nicer brass and a bit more effort put into prep and consistency.

MidwayUSA was running a special on 175 TSMKs.
Lots of folks on other Forums like them.

I'd give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom