• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 loads

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
just getting into reloading and would like to start on some loads for my 308. Not sure of the twist rate, but I will be shooting an Interarms Zastava Mark X with a 24" barrel:

Just doing some research, I see that 150, 165, 168, and 180 are the most popular grain bullets. I presently shoot Federal 150 grn psp with decent accuracy at 100 yards. With a stable rest I can typicalyl clover leaf 3 rounds. This will be primarily for hunting

Any tips or loads that you have used? Bullet types (seen great review on barnes triple shock and sierra spitzer boat tails?

Both Sierra and Nosler have accuracy load data available on what worked best in their test barrels. Given the amount of testing they do the info they provide is usually a very good place to start.
Give em a call.

I personally run 168 hpbt Sierra match kings under 39.6 gr of IMR4064 with CCI Benchrest primers. 100 yd-700yds. Past that I have to bump it up to 180-200gr bullets

I personally run 168 hpbt Sierra match kings under 39.6 gr of IMR4064 with CCI Benchrest primers. 100 yd-700yds. Past that I have to bump it up to 180-200gr bullets

thanks! Not knowing much about it, I am getting into the game slowly and soaking up as much info as possible. I have already loaded some light 45acp rounds to test out soon hopefully. Of course.. I loaded lead cast midatlantic before I read all the hooplah about polygonal glock barrels and lead cast. oh well, guess we will see

I reload a lot of .308 and although the powders and primers and such change, I ALWAYS get the best accuracy with a 168gr bullet. If you can get 3 holes touching, I don't think I'd change anything

thanks for the responses and pm's guys. I should be in full reloading operation buy xmas and will see what I can work up. I am thinking about starting with the 168grn since they are plentiful and available at my local gunshops.

I guess I should probably use whatever bullet I plan on shooting for deer season... nosler has some nice hunting bullets that are priced reasonably

Back
Top Bottom