• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 M1A recipe

all4sho

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
13   0
Reaction score
getting ready to reload some .308 for my M1A, just looking to see if anybody has had any luck with a good long range(500yards) load that works in the semi-auto platform, or any suggestion on a place to start with, i have had good luck with Varget and H4895 in my other guns hand loads.

And i Know everybody's guns are different, just looking to get some ideas.

Thanks for any info,

The M1A is detrimental to the life of brass. About 3 to 4 loads is it for me. The action is so fast that the case expansion is greater than other platforms. Varget works great in the M1A, Winchester 748 is one of my favorites too.

I have had excellent results with inexpensive 147 GR FMJBT Winchester loaded ove 48 Grains of H380. This is from my Lyman's 49th edition and is the starting load as well as the most accurate (according to Lyman #49) for all of their published loadings for 150 Grain Projectiles. My FNAR loves them, but it also seems to love almost every in .308 loading I have fed it ... .75 MOA seems to be the norm for everything, and lots of of it!!! A 20 Round Magazine normally yields a single hole that can easily be covered by a quarter ... AND I'm not that good of a shot!

The H380 meters like water, is the beginning load of 48 Grains and is an almost full case load, and has a history of being the powder used in the now famous Greek 30-06 NATO Loadings.

P.S. I have found that loading Mil-Surp brass with this load yields the same results on the range ...

I am looking for the best powder for my 30"06 autoloader. Would H380 be a good choice. If so what bullet would you choose for a 30''06 load with H380 and a 1/11 twist.

I am looking for the best powder for my 30"06 autoloader. Would H380 be a good choice. If so what bullet would you choose for a 30''06 load with H380 and a 1/11 twist.

A good place to start your search would be here:
(Note that just because it's on the internet DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN BET YOUR LIFE ON IT! ALways, Always have back-up that supports the information that you use!!!)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4635040

Follow the dialogue and note the other links mentioned

Back
Top Bottom