• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 match- 175gr SMK or 178 ELD?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
122   0
Reaction score
any of you shoot both or like one over the other?

I know the SMK is the proven shooter but since I'm just starting to work on loads for my 308 thought I'd see if any have tried to ELD or sticking with the tried and true.

rifle is a AR10 platform PWS MK216 w/ 16" Bartlein barrel, SD-E trigger. pretty sure it's 1:11. would like the load for longer range shooting, maybe a PRS match at some point.

IMG_2853.JPG
Factory 175 FGMM from a Bartlein .299/308 tight bore 1:11.25 5r
No experience with ELD.

I've used both in my Ar-10 and 300wm. I've had the same accuracy out to 500m with both. I'm only speculating, but I think the ELD will shine with the higher BC at 800m plus.
As I shoot 500m or less, SMK is my choice. 1, availability...2, cost.

that's what I was thinking. the ELD is "new technology" but the SMK is proven performer. I know I want to stick with 175+ weights, and might be able to get a buddy to swing thru Sedonia and visit the Sierra factory. They sell factory seconds (blems) but you have to do it in person. I bought some a few years ago when I was thru there (mostly 22 hornet/bee bullets and a few lbs of SMK's) but also might be able to swing a deal on the ELD so just wanted to see if anyone had been using them and seen any performance gains. This would be for longer distances and target shooting, but if I can get the right price on them I might load up a bunch.

FYI if you can go to Sierra outlet, the 175gr HPBT bullets are $10/lb and about 40 bullets per pound. I drove thru there on my way back from Colorado last year and stopped just to look around. couldn't resist buying some, they have 50 gallon drums full of the stuff. pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom