• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 powder and/or load data

Bama21

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
211   0
Reaction score
I have been reloading for a few years now and have recently began the journey of adding 308 to the few calibers that I will be loading. After reading quite a bit of load data and opinions, Varget seems like a solid choice as a 1st powder to try. I have 100 168 grain BTHP match bullets from Hornady that I am going to start my load work ups with. Any suggestions on other powder or proven load data would be helpful. Thx yall. Be safe and God bless.

I use 42.0 or 42.4 grains of IMR 4064 with a 168 SMK HPBT bullet to great effect in most of my M1As under 600 yards. That's what I settled on after trying many powders and weights over the years.

I use 42.0 or 42.4 grains of IMR 4064 with a 168 SMK HPBT bullet to great effect in most of my M1As under 600 yards. That's what I settled on after trying many powders and weights over the years.

I generally use Varget as well. Stick with published load data and tweak the load to your rifle.

I've used BLC-2 with good results.

I appreciate the input and info. Powder isn't the cheapest thing out there and really dont wanna buy a bunch of stuff that wont be used. Thx again yall.

I've never had a great deal of luck or good results with Varget. I prefer 4064 or 4895 myself. Start with a pound and see what you get. Varget meters well. You should get more than 140 rounds out of a pound.

My bench rest is R-700, I use 4064 and 168gr or 155gr Seirra Match Kings, and cheaper 155's for plinking. I load 3 different cases, Lapua and R&P for serious shooting and LC (sorted by weight) for low cost friends and family sessions. I crono all my .308 loads for 2600 fps which makes it a lot easier to print a dropchart on each box of ammo. It probably took a year's + worth of shooting and testing, but it's all recorded and I now just reload on autopilot. I have not used the crono for couple of years. Good luck in your setup..

Back
Top Bottom