• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 powder and/or load data

I was able to secure a lb of Varget from my LGS. Gonna give her a try with a few different loads and see how it does. I appreciate all of the input yall.

what rifle are you using? barrel lenght and what are you going to use the load for, steel plates, hunting, paper shooting, silhouette shooting, can shooting. the 308 rilfe is easy to reload for and you can make some great loads. for powder i use and like - imr 4895, varget, precission rifle, wcc846 (blc-2). you can also use h4895 for reduced loads. over the last several years varget has been the go to powder replaceing 4895 in the 308 match game. i have also jumped on the varget train. but when i run out i am going to precission rifle. if you send me you barrel lenght and what you are going to use the loads for i can send you some of my load data. i got lots of real world load data from years of compitition shooting.

what rifle are you using? barrel lenght and what are you going to use the load for, steel plates, hunting, paper shooting, silhouette shooting, can shooting. the 308 rilfe is easy to reload for and you can make some great loads. for powder i use and like - imr 4895, varget, precission rifle, wcc846 (blc-2). you can also use h4895 for reduced loads. over the last several years varget has been the go to powder replaceing 4895 in the 308 match game. i have also jumped on the varget train. but when i run out i am going to precission rifle. if you send me you barrel lenght and what you are going to use the loads for i can send you some of my load data. i got lots of real world load data from years of compitition shooting.

At present, the only 308 I have is a 16 inch POF gen 4. I plan on using her to deer and hog hunt. I picked up a box of 168 grain match HPBT from Hornady. CCI 200 LRP and once fired commercial 308 brass. Have all components in hand except for brass (shipping is slow this time of year). Any load data you could lend based upon what components I have collected and my rifle would be greatly appreciated.

bama21

first thing if you are going to work up loads i would buy a chrongraph. a chronograph is a reloading tool that will make your load development safe and easy. you don't need a high dollar one. a $100.00 basic chronograph will do all you need.

i don't think my load data is going to help you much. all my data for the 308 is made from a remingtion 700 rifle with a 20 inch and 24 inch barrel. with a auto rifle my loads might be to low and might not work the bolt carrier group. but if you stay somewhere between 2,500 fps to no higher than 2,700 fps you should be good. with varget and the 168 gr bullet a good starting load is 42 grs. in a 24 inch bolt action gun this load runs around 2,500 fps. so in your auto 16 inch barrel rifle it will run slower. i know that 46.0 grs of varget is a compressed load with the 168 gr bullet and runs around the 2,700 fps in a bolt action gun.

bama21

first thing if you are going to work up loads i would buy a chrongraph. a chronograph is a reloading tool that will make your load development safe and easy. you don't need a high dollar one. a $100.00 basic chronograph will do all you need.

i don't think my load data is going to help you much. all my data for the 308 is made from a remingtion 700 rifle with a 20 inch and 24 inch barrel. with a auto rifle my loads might be to low and might not work the bolt carrier group. but if you stay somewhere between 2,500 fps to no higher than 2,700 fps you should be good. with varget and the 168 gr bullet a good starting load is 42 grs. in a 24 inch bolt action gun this load runs around 2,500 fps. so in your auto 16 inch barrel rifle it will run slower. i know that 46.0 grs of varget is a compressed load with the 168 gr bullet and runs around the 2,700 fps in a bolt action gun.

Roger that. I plan on getting a 308 bolt down the road, but will stick with the carbine auto for now. I much appreciate the advice and info. Be safe sir and I pray you and yours have a great new year.

Back
Top Bottom