• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 Reload

Don't have anything in mind right now.Just wanted to gather some data from target shooter's and hunter's on the forum and what they have had good result's with.

Varget is a very popular powder for the .308. I've had good luck with a full case (around 46gr) and several different 168s jammed into the lands in neck sized brass. Just be sure to work up to it.

Stay with published data. Preferably from the bullet's manufacturer. Too many interweb experts posting dangerous stuff on any site. As above, Varget, is great powder for the .308. Reloader 15, 4895, and several other powders deliver excellent results too. I shoot a lot of 155's 168's, and 175's in the .308.

Last edited:
Sage advice (as always) from Mr. Chuckdog. Here’s some stuff to ponder as well as compare to other sources
(NEVER use a load that cannot be verified as “published” by at least one manufacture, and preferably
Also recommended by another source as being accurate!)

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/sierra308Win.pdf
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Keep in mind that most rifles have their favorite loadings, some more than others. My FNAR’s Favorite target plinker:
I'm using Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook's Page 250 "most accurate load" data for a 150 GR JSP (I primarily use it with 147 GR FMJBT though - 1" groups at 100 yards is the norm for my FNAR - sometimes I get all 20 in that 1" … the FNAR’s performance is handicapped by my lack of other than average shooting skills!)

2.735 OAL - 150 GR JSP - 48 GR H380 - 2607 FPS - This is actually their minimum loading, and is published as their "most accurate load" for the 150 GR Projectile (Maximum is 52 GR - compressed) The 48 GR loading is an almost "full case" (which I like) - H380 "meters like water" and is touted to be the same powder used in the famous Greek NATO 30-06 surplus ammunition that everyone touts.

Last edited:
I like using Sierra 168 Match King (SMK) for the range, and 168 Game Kings (SGK) for hunting. Both are very accurate and won't break the bank, SMK's a bit more accurate, and SGK's much better performance on "game".
I load with Varget and Federal 210 primers. With 42.0g of Varget and COAL of 2.800" I can get consistent groups well under 1" from my Winchester Model 70. That's good enough for what I use it for, and it doesn't matter to me whether I shoot .6" group or .4" group (5 shots, 100 yards) from a hunting rifle, so I don't see any need to try increasing the load to try for something better, costing more powder to shoot and load development time. Maybe I'll mess with it some in between hunting seasons, but it works great for me, for now.

Your goals or results may vary, because every rifle is different, and like has been mentioned above, always check the manufacturer info after getting a recommendation to make sure that it's safe and they weren't giving you the right load for a different powder or something.

The link to Hogdon's free manual is below to check load data from the source. They recommend a maximum of 46 grains, and starting with 10% below maximum and working your way up, or 41.4 grains as a starter load with a COAL (cartridge overall length, bottom of brass to tip of bullet) of 2.800" for a 168gr Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail (like the SMK or SGK).

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon Basic Manual.pdf

X2 on the 4895 either in Hodgdon or IMR you can't go wrong. I like varget also but keep coming back to the 4895's and Sierra gamekings. I do have several very accurate loadings for Win748 as well. Good luck!

Thank's for the post.I was thinking about 4895 and some gold match for punching paper and maybe some Berger bullets for hunting.I'm shooting under 1/2 inch with Factory Federal Gold Match and wanting to get that tighter.Need to fix up some good hunting load's also.Let me know what yall think.

Back
Top Bottom