• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 Reload

I shot a doe with 42gr of IMR-4895 behind a 168 A-Max last week. I hit her at about 200yds, no exit, no blood trail. Found her like 60 yards away. Does anyone know if these rounds are meant to not over penetrate? I just bought a box of the 178's and I'm hoping to get some better results.

I thought so too, I called Hornady in hopes of duplicating their TAP round and he told me that the A-Max was the round they used. He assured me that this round would be more than adequate to dispatch a deer.

The Amax is a target bullet. It's designed to hit the target, nothing more. I know people do use them for hunting, but the SST is constructed as a game bullet. This from the Hornady website.

Attachments

• AMAX Description.JPG
    AMAX Description.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 60
I thought so too, I called Hornady in hopes of duplicating their TAP round and he told me that the A-Max was the round they used. He assured me that this round would be more than adequate to dispatch a deer.

It killed the deer didnt it ? It did dispatch the deer with no problems .....

If I am not mistaken I think the TAP round is seated with a A-MAX bullet.

I have been using the Hornady 168 gr sst's with IMR 4007 SSC with great results. Nice tight groups out of my Remy 700 heavy. As stated above use published data from more than one source and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom