338-06 Ackley Improved question

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
In forming 338-06AI brass I have two proposed methods. First is to neck up 30-06 brass and fire form. My second choice is where I am looking for some opinions and thought. Here it goes

Take 35 Whelen brass, carefully neck it down to where it will chamber tightly without haveing completly got rid of the 35 caliber neck.

My thought is in theory this would hold it in place for fire forming using the cream of wheat method, and should properly form the shoulder.

I have a 257 AI already and love it, but haved tried this method as 257 roberts cases are availible.

Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

You are correct in both instances. I, however, would skip the "cream of wheat method". All it does is make a mess. It doesn't guarantee a good fire-form any more than using a bullet would.

My suggestion is use the Whelan brass and use the fire-forming process to sight it in and get used to shooting it. I find that FF loads are usually just as accurate as "regular" loads in the AI.

I'm not trying to poke, but with the availability of 30-06 brass why would you use .35 whelen brass? Unless you have a big supply on hand? I would think that more repeatable results are obtained with '06 brass. That is, after all, the case that the 338-06IMP round was designed around.

With 30-06 brass necking up with fire forming you will have to seat the bullet out to the lands. The thought behind 35 whelen was to neck down till the larger neck of the whelen held the case tight in the chamber for the cream of wheat fire forming. Giving the case the proper shoulder. Also when sizing down the whelen brass the neck will elongate. When the fire forming occurs the neck will shorten, hopefully not putting the neck shorter than spec that usually occurs when forming form 30-06. Hope that explains it a little better. The cost of brass new is about the same.

And from I have read you shouldn't. Looking through numerous manuals and forums though, people who have done the ACKLEY IMPROVED chamber have had the shortened necks resulting in split case mouths. Also instead of the shoulder moving forward the body elongated causing premature case failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom