• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

35 whelen vs 338 WIN MAG

mozdog

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
If you had to pick between the Remington 700 bolt action 35 Whelen vs a 338 win mag semi auto Browning which one would you pick and why. Biggest game hunted would be elk. I have other calibers but need make a decision between these two. Thanks for the replies in advance

Make the choice based on the rifle, not these two cartridges.
Out to 400 yards they're nearly identical, with only a tiny, insignificant advantage for the .338 Win Mag. Just 2" less bullet drop, 10% less foot-pounds of energy, about 130 f.p.s. velocity diff.

So, do you like the BAR semi-auto rifle design?
Is the accuracy good enough for you?

Which kind of gun fills a bigger gap in your existing gun collection?

.35 Whelen. Great, old school caliber. It’s been gettin’ it done exceptionally well for a very long time. Similar ballistically to the 9.3x62mm, and that is a common caliber for Africa.

I was going to have a .35 Whelen built, and ended up going eith the .338-06 Ackley Improved instead. Better BC/SD when using bullets of a similar weight, and a better bullet selection.

Make the choice based on the rifle, not these two cartridges.
Out to 400 yards they're nearly identical, with only a tiny, insignificant advantage for the .338 Win Mag. Just 2" less bullet drop, 10% less foot-pounds of energy, about 130 f.p.s. velocity diff.

So, do you like the BAR semi-auto rifle design?
Is the accuracy good enough for you?

Which kind of gun fills a bigger gap in your existing gun collection?

The BAR I do well out to 400 yards but that is the same with my 280, 30-06, 270, 308, and 6.5 credmoor. There is a lot less kick but that could be because I am a big guy and it has a muzzle break. I doubt I would shoot past 300 or 400 at an Elk even though I target shot out to 500 meters to many factors come into play like wind, temp and altitude. I really like the 35 whelen but one has to go. Need a new camera lens.

The two cartridges are close enough that your only concern should be which rifle you prefer.

That should take into account which is most accurate. If the 700 isn't accurate enough for you, there are about a hundred things you can do to improve accuracy. If the BAR isn't accurate enough, there's not a lot you or anyone else can do about it.

I HAVE BOTH IN BOLT GUNS AND I LIKE MY WHELEN A TINY BIT BETTER BUT MINE ARE BOTH BOLT GUNS ! WHELEN AMMO IS ALSO CHEEPER TO SHOOT THAN 338 ! I RELOAD FOR THE 35 AS WELL !

Back
Top Bottom